Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding up to Smith Mountain Lake behind a buddy on VA 40. It's a pretty twisty road and I was thinking "I am never gonna ride the V at the Dragon." All of a sudden the rear end swung out on me and I wobbled, straightened up and hit the brakes, but I had to bail and slid it across the other lane and into a ditch. I bounced once on my back and once on my hip. Busted my cherry and my cell phone in that little front pocket. We looked around to see what caused the rear to come out and a recent rain had washed a bunch of gravel into the center of the right lane of the curve, and the gravel was the same color as the pavement.

The damage: a little road rash on my back and a bruise on my hip...right side radiator shroud, golf club mirror, handlebars, the 3d volume and cans, small dent in the airbox cover, and twisted the foot peg section of the frame. It was rideable and we continued on to the lake....back to Mango's in Moneta. But I didn't have a right footpeg and had to rest my foot on the locked-up rear brake pedal...no more rear brakes.

Jeff said he saw the whole thing in his right side mirror and said I looked like I was sliding into home plate. We had a big time (too big) at the lake and we were both squirelly riding back the same way this AM. I'm not sure if it was the hangover or the trepidation, but my confidence was lacking. Having no rear brake and no peg also made for a different riding experience.

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
Yup... one tends to take things a little easier and pay more attention to whats around them after a close call.

Glad you are ok... what side mirror and what color? I broke a black left side one. If you need a right we could split a pair! :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Glad to hear you are OK. The bike can be replaced, you cannot.

·
Vrodder since 2004
4,514 Posts
Whew...close one, glad you are ok. I had that happen recently too and was lucky to pull out of it, but I was only going about10mph or so around a residential corner....I really don't know what caused mine, but I started questioning my tires, etc.....it does undermine your nerve on those turns.

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
91Vette said:
Glad to hear you are OK. The bike can be replaced, you cannot.
+1

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Glad to hear your ok....... I've been there done that.....

PS. I have a 3rd volume if you go back stock.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a complete exhaust and will have it VModded. The mirror is a golf club mirror and I already have one on the way, as well as handlebars. I'll need to replace that section of the frame that comes off and maybe the brake master.

My brother had a wreck 2 years ago and broke a couple of ribs. My ribs were hurting after we got going, and I was worried. But that pain was gone by yesterday.

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
Whew!
Glad you are ok.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Sorry to hear that bud.

those darn gravels will jump up and bit ya.

I can tell you it gets better. When I was younger I wrecked ....well lets just say more than once.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Glad you are OK and tough luck about your bike. I once rode Va 40 with a group from Rocky Mount to somewhere near the NC line. Never again. That road sucks. It isnt the curves that bother me, its the gravel driveway in the MIDDLE of every curve. At times is seems like you are riding on a freaking gravel road. Later.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Man, I HATE gravel! I'm glad you are ok! I hope you get the bike back together soon. You'll ride the Dragon some day!

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
glad you are ok ..

they are working on the main road here and side walks .. gravel EVERY WHERE .. its been crazy.. i had my rear tire slide a bit the other day just turning on to the road i needed... i wi ll be glad when they are done.. it makes me crazy

seriously glad you are ok . !

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
VA 40 ends at VA 8 in Stuart, VA...pretty close to NC. We stayed at Camper's Paradise in Bedford County, and the parking lot was paved, but had WAY too much gravel. I'm damn tired of gravel.

Luggage rack will be shipped w/in the hour, 3OM.

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
thanks!!

i wasnt even worried about that.. i am glad you can hobble to the post office for me though.. i cant wait to get it !!

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
Seeing gravel on the ground around corners always makes me slow it way down. Nasty surprise hitting it in the middle of the road. Glad you're OK.

·
1130cc Mike
1,860 Posts
Sorry about reading your post on the crash. Glad it wasn't worst and you were at least able to ride on. Sounds like an easy fix to get both you and the ride back together.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Men have Cherries?
Glad your alright and got out of it with only some Minor scrapes and bruises on you and the bike.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts