Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past week, I have had a slight smell of gasoline after a ride. Finally got a bit stronger, so while in Kansas City I decided to really look for the problem. Took off the airbox (a real pain as I have wires in there), but everything was dry.
Finally took a close look around the top of the tank. Realized there was a little fuel misting there, under the early model rubber cover. To my surprise, touching the high pressure line connection, I saw a little fuel seep out. Further investigation showed a crack in the side of the plastic nipple, near the 90 degree bend. Further playing managed to open the trickle to a flood. Shit.
No way to 'glue' it. (I did try though). 50 PSI isn't to be trivialized.

As I was dropping the bike off at the dealer to get 3-olive's new to me chromed wheels installed, I had them order a new fuel assembly. ($400). I'll keep the old parts and have a spare fuel pump and gas gauge (which has been flawless for 84,000 miles). I could have ordered just the top ($125) and had them take the parts off the old one, but with labor, that was going to cost me $350.

So I'll hope they can find the part....

Don't know what caused it. I guess it was just old. (like me).

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You have the early model screw ring 75123-01 or the later model clamp ring 75146-06?

If the later style and they can't find one for a while, I have the project tank sitting in the garage. I can make you a deal since I may have to switch to a sonic sensor for the ABS gauge assembly.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. Let's see if the dealer can find one. It is an '03, so I assume it's the early one.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
hey Daniii, how is it going? does your look like this? it happened to me earlier this year:

I have 03, I am sure you your replacement part is 75173-01A, its about $100 online from www.surdyke.com. you can reuse your fuel sender unit, just take it out from the old part and put them in the new one. you will need the "fuel flange tool". some make it from coffee can, i borrowed it from bproulxvrod. its a 30 min job. i almost get disappointed because of how easy it was to replace it :D good luck!

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's where mine broke. I went ahead and had the dealer order a complete assy. With 80K miles on the bike, I figure I'll need either a fuel gauge or pump sometime down the road. I'm assuming the new part will have the "flange" mod installed. I'd better check, though.

It would be kinda nice if the assy included a new cap. Mine is still the one involved in the slight "fire" I experienced two years ago. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts