Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had this happen?
I washed my bike and when I went to start it, after drying it, the security lights on the cluster flashed a few times and then "bUS Er" followedo n the odometer. The tach would then dive down and would not work. The bike would start only to stall right after. Once started it would idle rougher and when I gave it some throttle the tach wouldn't move and the KEY icon would stay on.

I can't find this problem anywhere. If anyone has any advice that would be great.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
klrkustoms said:
... the security lights on the cluster flashed a few times and then "bUS Er" followedo n the odometer. The tach would then dive down and would not work. The bike would start only to stall right after. Once started it would idle rougher and when I gave it some throttle the tach wouldn't move and the KEY icon would stay on. ... I can't find this problem anywhere. If anyone has any advice that would be great. ...
This indicates that your serial data line is not sending data to the instrument module (IM pin # 7). The tach and speedo are stepping motors that require this data (generated by the ECM pin # 5) to function. This is usually caused by an open or grounded signal on this line.

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
Is this the problem i have heard Max talk about ?
all you have to do is unplug the tssm for a couple of minutes, then when reconnected it reboots and starts talking to the ECU again.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
klrkustoms said:
Thanks Stever975,
Do I need to take the bike in?
If the poor running problem persists after thorough drying you may need some help.

It's hard to diagnose this remotely. The "bUS Er" doesn't usually affect starting and running. This data stream is used for inter communication among the TSM/TSSM, the ECM, and the IM but the ECM doesn't need this bus to operate the engine except that the TSM/TSSM needs to be connected and functioning (HD has incorporated a mandatory check for excessive lean). Your poor starting and idle problems are likely contamination at other critical pins.

You mention "after drying"; did this include an air blower (high volume, low pressure) after opening covers and separating connectors? Although the circuits are pretty well protected from rain, spraying water in directions not normally found in nature could cause shorts and/or open circuits in a number of critical connectors. It would be hard to get the TSM/TSSM connector wet when washing your bike (unless you removed the seat and didn't protect it.) I would start by removing the left front side cover and separate the large 36 pin ECM connector, use some circuit contact cleaner and air dry before reconnecting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts