Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I wish to get a brighter bulb for my headlamp (2008 VRSCDX).

The stock one is part # 68329-03, and on page 91 of the parts book.

I have been looking at Xenon bulbs.

The parts book doesn't give Voltage of stock bulb, so i need to know that. Also is it ok to put higher volt bulbs into a lower volt headlamp so not to have the bulbs blow out?

Also parts book shows one bulb, but bulbs online come in set of two with a high and low bulb.

Questions/comments, also what is everyone else running in this area?

Here is a link I am looking at of new bulbs in question.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-V-Rod-02-08-White-Xenon-H11-HID-High-Beam-Bulbs-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem519545cc42QQitemZ350396730434QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

1. What is voltage of stock bulb?

2. 3Can a higher voltage bulb replace stock bulb without worry of bulb blowing out?

. Why is marketed bulbs sold high/low (two bulbs) when the stock one has only one bulb?

4. What is everyone else running in this area? And why?

5. Is the bulb in the following link compatible with 2008 DX?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...Q5fAccessories

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not looking for a kit, or system.

I am looking for a replacement bulb, that is brighter. IE take stock bulb out, put brighter bulb in, done.

Plus no where in that thread does it explain why a full kit is needed, nor what the difference is putting a kit in rather than just a brighter bulb.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I run a blue tinted Xenon bulb in my DX. It is an H4 bulb bought at a local parts store. It is brighter than stock but is no comparison to a HID bulb.

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is voltage of stock bulb?

Can a higher voltage bulb replace stock bulb without worry of bulb blowing out?

Why is marketed bulbs sold high/low (two bulbs) when the stock one has only one bulb?

What is everyone else running in this area? And why?

Is the bulb in the following link compatible with 2008 DX?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-V-Rod-02-08-White-Xenon-H11-HID-High-Beam-Bulbs-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem519545cc42QQitemZ350396730434QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
SpeedoDocter
2,363 Posts
The stock bulb is 12v 55watts. A little bit more powerfull bulb like 65watt or so do not hurt anything but the cheap 90 watt watt ones will melt your bulbsocket.
The PIAA ones are pretty expensive so these pretend to do good imho. The HID option is a fun mod... it works but dont expect miracles cause the reflector/lightspread patern is designed for the stock bulb.

The poweroutput of the bulb is expressed in watts. the voltage is always 12 volt. think of a car/bike battery says 12volts. that one stays the same.
You need to know if you have the H4 bulb (having two filliaments in one glassbaloon. Highbeam and low beam). If im right the dx has the H4 in the headlightfairing.
the non dx headlamps (at least mine) uses H11 low beam bulb and a H9 high beam(65 watts)

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
What is voltage of stock bulb? 12volt

Can a higher voltage bulb replace stock bulb without worry of bulb blowing out? Higher voltage bulb will be dimmer, lower voltage will burn out quickly. Higher wattage will give a little more light.

Why is marketed bulbs sold high/low (two bulbs) when the stock one has only one bulb? Two filament's inside one glass orb gives one high, one low. Low beam filaments often has a shield to direct/shade the light output.
What is everyone else running in this area? And why? Me? stock bulb, fine till it fails.
Is the bulb in the following link compatible with 2008 DX? As long as the shape is correct it should fit the holder but you might need to add/alter to make it work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-V-Rod-02-08-White-Xenon-H11-HID-High-Beam-Bulbs-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem519545cc42QQitemZ350396730434QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
As a side note: The reflector on a modern lamp does most of the work, this is why the glass is almost clear of lines and lens when compared to the lamps of 10 years ago.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been running a 90/100 all summer and not a problem. I do plan on switching to the new LED headlamp assembly this winter.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Some, if not most, "xenon" automotive headlight bulbs are halogens with a xenon gas fill as opposed to krypton or argon. Many of these, especially Walmart or ebay brands, merely have a blue tint added to the glass or in a coating on the glass and have nothing to do with xenon except for producing light with a more xenon-like color!
The true xenon car headlight bulbs are more expensive and require ballasts and do not have filaments but contain an electric arc. These are not so much xenon lamps as they are metal halide lamps. They do contain xenon which is useful for producing some useful white light output while you are waiting for the metal halide ingredients and the mercury in these bulbs to vaporize as the bulb warms up.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
right on the money AOW.......

the bulbs should all be 12 volts... I believe the wattage changes wich needs more amperage thats why they have ballasts for the HID bulbs... I have sold a few of them but never installed one..... The LED conversion from H-D looks interesting.... It is a long dollar for a bulb but probably worth the brightness compared to stock...

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some, if not most, "xenon" automotive headlight bulbs are halogens with a xenon gas fill as opposed to krypton or argon. Many of these, especially Walmart or ebay brands, merely have a blue tint added to the glass or in a coating on the glass and have nothing to do with xenon except for producing light with a more xenon-like color!
The true xenon car headlight bulbs are more expensive and require ballasts and do not have filaments but contain an electric arc. These are not so much xenon lamps as they are metal halide lamps. They do contain xenon which is useful for producing some useful white light output while you are waiting for the metal halide ingredients and the mercury in these bulbs to vaporize as the bulb warms up.
Very good info, and I now have a better understanding on types.

So does a brighter bulb even exist? If so what price range/name/Co. that makes it?

Xenon, halogens, etc. I don't care, as long as it's 50% or more brighter than stock.

right on the money AOW.......

the bulbs should all be 12 volts... I believe the wattage changes wich needs more amperage thats why they have ballasts for the HID bulbs... I have sold a few of them but never installed one..... The LED conversion from H-D looks interesting.... It is a long dollar for a bulb but probably worth the brightness compared to stock...
WOW, if looking at what you speak of, $399.95 is a lot of cash for a headlamb conversion. I mean I see how it's more than just the headlambp, but 400 bucks is a lot.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I replaced my Low & High Beam bulbs with a 2 High Beam PIAA bulbs for about 40,000 miles, it melted the Wiring socket twice doing this.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I did the HID conversion to my AW, and beyond love it. It's not as great as a projection lens set up, but it is at least three times as bright as stock.
hmmm, if I can find my old stock lamps & wiring harnesses, I'll put them back in and post up actual lumens (light meter) data.
I agree that $400 for a headlamp is WAAAAY to F'ing much, but HIDs where the same price when they first hit the market.

If I could figure out how to separate the lens from the A/AW light housing, I could retrofit a projection set up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts