Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright over the weekend I had an opportunity to watch the show Ultimate Factories on the National Geographic Channel that shows how Vrods are built.

Here are some questions that I have after watching this show:

1)It shows a guy put engines on a dyno and run them up to 6,000 RPM in 5th gear, is this done w/ every engine?

2)It shows a guy that tests the Vrod on a roller, does every bike go on a roller?

3)If each bike gets tested do all of the fluids get drained for shipment?

4)Does the battery get removed? I was always under the impression that the dealer puts in a new battery, part of the setup fee?

5)It shows bikes going through an inspection for defects, do all Vrods go through this inspection?

6)If the bike is all put together, w/ even mirrors included what kind of setup is there @ the dealer? Especially since some dealers can be pricey w/ the setup fee!!

7)Almost for got one....who came up with and why does the assenmbly line advance every 7 1/2 mins???

As I think now if a new Vrod is coming off the line every about every 4 hours where do they find the time to do all of this stuff?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Have you ever seen the bikes come out of the crate from shipping? They basically take the plastic off, remove some foam padding, and screw the mirrors in..

Maybe an hours worth of work tops (if they stop for a few smokes and coffee) to put the fluids in and battery.. but yet they charge us like there is 5-6 hours in setting up a bike.. It is literally pure profit. :chair:
 

·
Guitar, not Gator
Joined
·
8,049 Posts
1) I think they sample a certain number per day to be 100% tested for performance, fit, function etc...
2) See number 1
3) The only fluid missing nowdays is the gas.
4):laugh:
5) See number 1 again
6):rofl2:
7) Industrial Engineering will come up with a takt time. This is the "pulse". In order to meet production needs, say X number of bikes are needed and there are Y number of operations required, then add in a little fudge factor and you will come up with number of minutes allowed to have a bike come off the line. There is a LOT more to take into consideration, crew size, operation complexity, machine rates (cycle times).... but this is it in a nutshell.
Number of units/Available time = takt time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gtrman66 said:
1) I think they sample a certain number per day to be 100% tested for performance, fit, function etc...
2) See number 1
3) The only fluid missing nowdays is the gas.
4):laugh:
5) See number 1 again
6):rofl2:
7) Industrial Engineering will come up with a takt time. This is the "pulse". In order to meet production needs, say X number of bikes are needed and there are Y number of operations required, then add in a little fudge factor and you will come up with number of minutes allowed to have a bike come off the line. There is a LOT more to take into consideration, crew size, operation complexity, machine rates (cycle times).... but this is it in a nutshell.
Number of units/Available time = takt time
Would they take into consideration if they are having lots of defects?
 

·
Guitar, not Gator
Joined
·
8,049 Posts
I thought the batteries were dry cell now. No fluids needed.
Setup is the biggest rip-off. I got hit for $695 and had to put air in the tires and clean it myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
gtrman66 said:
I thought the batteries were dry cell now. No fluids needed.
Setup is the biggest rip-off. I got hit for $695 and had to put air in the tires and clean it myself.
Its at this time you should learn to start bringing your own KY every time you deal with a stealership--assuming you didn't already know.:D
 

·
myvrodrocks
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
Thsi is a very dangerous question. Unless the person answering the question actually works in the factory, on the Vrod line, I would be willing to bet that they are GUESSING and have no clue what they are talking about. You are going to get 100 different opinions. I bet I know where you are going with the 1st question. Break in proceedures... :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Good luck though...those are very good questions.
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
1. it was my understanding that every engine is run before it is installed in a frame. They listen for noise and check output. Any engines that don't pass are torn apart and inspected. They don't re-use any of the small hardware but they do if no problems are found re-use the heads, cases etc but discard all bearings, bolts, plugs etc.

2. I assumed when taking the tour that every bike was run on the roller, it is not a dyno but simply test trans and other rolling items before shipping.

3. Only fuel is drained to ship from what I understood, the bike comes with all fluids in it. The crates are never turned over so this isn't an issue.

4. the battery is not moved or touched when they do make ready.

5.Only a select number of bikes make it to Ray for QC and road test. However they are very concerned with QC and they take the bikes with flaws found and display them in the break room with the errors listed so that all can see what mistakes are being made. Again it was my understanding from what I saw at the plant that they are very concerned with QC on the bikes

6. Setup fee is supposed to check nuts fasteners and so many other things on the bike, I can tell you from what I found on mine they must have done a very quick check for the money.

7. I'm sure as Roy said it is the time to complete each task plus a built in safety.
 

·
myvrodrocks
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
Wouldn't you think that if the assembly line advances every 7 1/2 minutes that a new vrod would roll off every 7 1/2 minutes?
 

·
Pineland Underground
Joined
·
14,737 Posts
gtrman66 said:
I thought the batteries were dry cell now. No fluids needed.
Setup is the biggest rip-off. I got hit for $695 and had to put air in the tires and clean it myself.
One time I spoke with the clerk at the service counter at the Cape Fear HD...she was telling me how some new guys had been hired to handle the setup on newly purchased bikes and customers had actually come back and complained to the manager about it. Seems these new guys didnt' wash the bikes, some external bolts were loose, tires not properly inflated, and other stuff. They ended up firing those guys afterwards.
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
synseer said:
One time I spoke with the clerk at the service counter at the Cape Fear HD...she was telling me how some new guys had been hired to handle the setup on newly purchased bikes and customers had actually come back and complained to the manager about it. Seems these new guys didnt' wash the bikes, some external bolts were loose, tires not properly inflated, and other stuff. They ended up firing those guys afterwards.
Each dealership is a little different. Some have regular techs do the inspections or PDI ( pre delivery inspection) as we call them and some dealers have a crew of $8 an hour guys that do nothing but pdi's. It's kind of pot luck as what they really check and how much they really do. With GM they have a set fee they pay for us to do the inspections. They have a check list of things to be checked and things to be done on each vehicle. You have to sign off that each item is done and each item inspected. They have it figured out pretty close and it takes you about the amount of time to actually do them as they pay if you find no problems. Some dealerships also used to make you stand behind them. In other words if you did the PDI and the unit came back in the first 1k miles for any reason no matter what the complaint it found it's way back to you to do the repair. You still got warranty time pay but it made you aware of what you might have missed.

Some of the the things checked

Engine oil level
trans oil level
rear diff oil level if it has one
all windows
A/C and heater operation
road test of at least 3 miles
all blinkers and lights
install radio antenna usually
check functions of radio and all dash controls, wipers, defrosters etc
seat functions
check for spare, set all tire pressures

Usually when we get done with them they go to make ready to have all plastic removed and other things cleaned up.
 

·
I'll Take Two Please
Joined
·
396 Posts
I watched the show again last night (Tivo) and thought about the same questions. Mainly, it was about the engines being run. If an engine's break in period is within the first few minutes of running, then the factory has already screwed up any method of break in. They dyno the engine, rolling test, then the service manager at the dealer takes a spin. So, what does that do to all of the break in theories out there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
In Sweden aren't there any extra costs for the setup. It is included in the price.

About the break in: A modern engine is already broken in, all you need is to take easy a few miles to let the piston rings seat properly. And dont lug it. Change oil and you're ready to go. If the company didn't trust the engines they wouldn't give you a three year warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Max said:
1. it was my understanding that every engine is run before it is installed in a frame. They listen for noise and check output. Any engines that don't pass are torn apart and inspected. They don't re-use any of the small hardware but they do if no problems are found re-use the heads, cases etc but discard all bearings, bolts, plugs etc.

2. I assumed when taking the tour that every bike was run on the roller, it is not a dyno but simply test trans and other rolling items before shipping.

3. Only fuel is drained to ship from what I understood, the bike comes with all fluids in it. The crates are never turned over so this isn't an issue.

4. the battery is not moved or touched when they do make ready.

5.Only a select number of bikes make it to Ray for QC and road test. However they are very concerned with QC and they take the bikes with flaws found and display them in the break room with the errors listed so that all can see what mistakes are being made. Again it was my understanding from what I saw at the plant that they are very concerned with QC on the bikes

6. Setup fee is supposed to check nuts fasteners and so many other things on the bike, I can tell you from what I found on mine they must have done a very quick check for the money.

7. I'm sure as Roy said it is the time to complete each task plus a built in safety.

Max thanks for your detailed answer!!:notworth:
 

·
fire up !
Joined
·
700 Posts
Janne90 said:
In Sweden aren't there any extra costs for the setup. It is included in the price.
same here in Belgium, 4th HD and never had to pay any setup fee, it doesn't exist + a bike costs the same everywhere, regardless of the dealership
Janne90 said:
If the company didn't trust the engines they wouldn't give you a three year warranty.
wow, 3 years ?? it says 2 years on my invoice
 

·
I'm 'avin hoops
Joined
·
695 Posts
In the UK the price for example of a new DX is £12195

That includes first 1000 service free, 12 month's road tax free, 12 month's hog membership with breakdown free. 2 Year warranty.

I mean all the above aren't free, but they come included in the sticker price.
 

·
Guitar, not Gator
Joined
·
8,049 Posts
Max said:
Some of the the things checked

Engine oil level
trans oil level
rear diff oil level if it has one
all windows
A/C and heater operation
road test of at least 3 miles
all blinkers and lights
install radio antenna usually
check functions of radio and all dash controls, wipers, defrosters etc
seat functions
check for spare, set all tire pressures

Usually when we get done with them they go to make ready to have all plastic removed and other things cleaned up.
A/C and heater????
Windows???
Wipers???

Which model do you have?:stilpoke:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,724 Posts
What, you didnt get wipers with yours?? You better go back and complain
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top