Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dag Namit!!!

I knew it would happen and now it did. While cleaning My Rod I notice a scratch on my chrome frame. I looks more like a scuff not like a clean scratch but more like a small dull area. I tried three diff types of polish with no results. Is it safe to try and buff it out with. I know that when chrome is polished the buff it but I would not forgive myself if I went through the chrome.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Oh your screwed!:mad: If in fact the chrome is damage you will start to get moisture under and get peeling of bubbling!:( If it's paint from another object the chrome is much tougher and should buff off very easily!:cool:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
If it's a surface scrape then you should be able to get it off with "never dull", acetone or mineral spirits. Normal polish won't have any effect since the abrasives are softer than the chrome.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I agree, chrome is much harder then most abrasive materials. If it is paint or a surface item then chemicals is much more effective way to get rid of it.

Max

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I am going to bring it into the shop and see whats up. after looking closer I see several areas on the same part of the fram that are "dull". I know I did not scratch the frame and the areas do not look like scratches they look more like abrasions or scuffs. I see an area that looks like it is dull under the chrome but smoth on top. Then the other area looks like it has flaked off but not in big pieces more like gliter sized pieces. Agrhhhhhhh!!!!!

·
Nothing but Chrome
167 Posts
smudge

I used a very, very, very fine steel wool to clean up some crate smudges before I put mine back together.

Mike

·
Registered
136 Posts
dlevi03, there is not a lot you can do about scuffed chrome. You can buff it to a certian extent but you will more than likely start scuffing the entire area that you are working on. You can also look at lightly wet sanding the area with something like a 4000 grit Abralon disk by Mirka on a DA sander, it will not do any cutting only polishing.

The actual thickness of the chrome is very thin (not even mechanically measurable) so if you are into the nickle or copper you will start having some problems down the road.

We have a clear coat that is crystal clear that is designed for chrome that you can use, but I would recommend that you clear it off the bike. If you ever got any more scuffs, thay can be buffed out like any clear. Also, this is a very hard clear to spray and you need the right equipment, we use Sata RP Digital 2's with 1.3 tips. A local shop might be able to spray it for you.

Hope this helps
Ozzy

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info I went to the dealer and I (think?) that they are going to help. I have an appointment to bring the bike in for some other minor issues (fuel gage stuck on full, spedo says 90mph at about 70mph, they lost some cosmetic bolts when putting the bike back together) and I hope they can do somthing with it then. otherwise??????????????? I might have someone fabricate a knee plate shaped like flames and cover that part of the frame.

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Now if the warranty would only cover the scuffs on my lower tailpipe from simply leaning the bike into a turn. They are the stock pipes! (for now, I've only had the bike for 2 -1/2 weeks)

Or are they considered a badge of honor?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Droped the bike off at the dealer for the week (works out great since the mother in law in visiting next week and she has no clue about the bike. Its great being yelled at in a dif lang for several days.) Anyway they are standing behind the work sofar. The service manager agreed that the spots were not caused by me scratching the frame and they said that it would be taken care of one way or another. Lets hope this means they are going to fix it regardless of what needs to be done.

·
Registered
284 Posts
CHROME FRAME?????
God, that must have cost, and involve a complete tear down.
Your keen, but it looks great. Hope you sort the mark out ok.

I would love to get a custom paint job, or chrome pannels, but unfortunatly I do a lot of kms and the risk of chips, scratches etc is high with our goat tracks for roads, so the new finnish would look tired very soon.

Best wishes, and I will post a link to a great Amazon E Book on polishing metals for bikes, when I get home this afternoon. It may be of interest to some one.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Best wishes, and I will post a link to a great Amazon E Book on polishing metals for bikes, when I get home this afternoon. It may be of interest to some one.
Please do I would love any good info on polishing. Like I said my dealer (HD Fullerton) has been great every step of the way and Coby the service manger has gone way out of his way to make thier customers happy.

Below is a new pic with my new seat and backrest

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I had the frame chrome plated on my BSA in 1971. When I sold it last summer, I only had one spot where there was any problem. And that bke went through a lot! Chroming makes it a lot more durable than the powder paint the factory puts on it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well Ive gotta hand it to HD Fullerton they have once again bent over backwards to fix a problem. After trying to get the chrome shop to come out and look at the frame for 3 weeks with no answer (they found out that the owner of the shop was in a very bad accident and the shop was temp closed) they called another shop to take a look at the frame and they were able to polish all of the problem areas with some sorta compound. They said the spots looked like they were not originaly polished correctly. Anyway I am very happy we did not have to redo the frame. Lets see how it holds up.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Now, about those mirrors, footpegs, etc....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts