Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Hawk
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the Buell wheels installed about a week and a half ago. Install is pretty straight forward, just like changing the stock wheels but you remove the front calipers and install the Buell caliper and adaptor, and new front brake line. Rear wheel goes on pretty easy, getting the stock brake caliper into the 17" wheel is pretty tight but it does fit.

First impressions are good, seems to have more accelleration and with the lighter wheels and the Metz M-3 sport bike tires it really wants to corner. I went for a ride up to Kokee, all curves and really fun. The bike corners exceptionally well, I was taking corners easily 5 mph faster than before and I was not pushing it. The only downside is the lower clearance, as I did scrape the pegs several times. The Buell front perimeter brake is outstanding, it is real smooth and seems just right for the V Rod. I used the stock V Rod master cylinder and it works well. Harley should be using this system on V Rods, at least on the street rod for sure.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey Mike hows it going? I almost bought a Garrett GT2554R YESTERDAY untill my wife found the cash stash I had. I will get that turbo yet. Glad to hear the 17" rims are working out. Thats a project down the road for me yet. I plan on putting together a bike that will run the twisties as well as the strights!! Later. Randy

·
The Hawk
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Belt drive, Eagle takes the stock pulley and machines down the back, adds an adapter and it bolts right to the Buell wheel. Forgot to mention, this setup does not have the cush drive and you can tell when riding, a little more vibration on mine in the 2800-2900 rpm area but the rest is all good.

Mike

·
RICK
648 Posts
Looks Great! I'm Doing The Older Style Buell Wheels Now. Won't Look Quite As Nice, But Serves A Purpose-good Job!

·
The Hawk
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ocat-RR said:
I'll be the first to ask. How much $$$ did it cost for the kit?
Got the wheels on Ebay for $250 ea.

Got all the adapters from Eagle, including front and rear wheel spacers, front caliper adapter, front caliper, custom rear rotor, machined rear pulley, and machined front axel for $1200 plus shipping.

Got the new tires on Ebay for $250 plus shipping.

Had to buy a brake line and fittings locally for $70.

My total cost $2020. plus about $175 for shipping.

Mike

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wow!!! What a great look with the Buell mirrors. I really like it. How much did the new wells lower the bike? I have a DX which is already lower than the other V-Rods.....too much lower and it would have no ground clearance at all. Also where did you get the mirrors? I would like to find black ones for the DX. Or find chrome mirrors and have them painted or coated black. Thanks for the help.

·
The Hawk
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RaderDX said:
Wow!!! What a great look with the Buell mirrors. I really like it. How much did the new wells lower the bike? I have a DX which is already lower than the other V-Rods.....too much lower and it would have no ground clearance at all. Also where did you get the mirrors? I would like to find black ones for the DX. Or find chrome mirrors and have them painted or coated black. Thanks for the help.
The stock V Rod wheels are 19" in front and 18" in the rear and the Buell wheels are both 17", so it lowers the front 1" and the rear 1/2". I did lower the tubes in the trees about 1/2" to get the bike back to a good balance.
The mirrors are the cheapie golf club mirrors that most vendors sell. Ebay has them most of the time. I live on the coast and they see a lot of salty air and the chrome is already starting to pit and they have only been on a couple of months.

Mike

·
The Hawk
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a D&D fat cat, great pipe and one of the best for producing good power.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
mike..if my memory serves me correctly, is this the big bore bike you are going to turbo or is that someone else i am thinking of ?

·
The Hawk
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CRAZY CLIVE said:
mike..if my memory serves me correctly, is this the big bore bike you are going to turbo or is that someone else i am thinking of ?
It is a 1350 big bore now and I have the turbo in a box under the work bench. Still not sure if I want to mount it or not, the big bore is really good and much more simple to tune. Besides if I put the turbo on there I will be pushing the limits of the case, and I don't want to blow the dang thing up.

Mike

·
Get a Grip!
696 Posts
I like.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts