Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· VRSC est -03
3,668 Posts
Old threads but it gives you a start:

· "Vrod King"
959 Posts
Oh wait, someone said "Buell wheels" o_O They are one of the best things you can do. The Vrods should have come from the factory with them. Four of mine have them on the front and 2 of those also have them on the rear. I even made my own mounts for the front caliper so I can run the 8 piston caliper instead of the 6 piston one.

· Premium Member
769 Posts
Oh wait, someone said "Buell wheels" o_O They are one of the best things you can do. The Vrods should have come from the factory with them. Four of mine have them on the front and 2 of those also have them on the rear. I even made my own mounts for the front caliper so I can run the 8 piston caliper instead of the 6 piston one.
Are those 17" rims? Also what is rear rim width?

There is one rear tire I would like to use but available only in 17" (180-200)

· "Vrod King"
959 Posts
Buell wheels are 17" and the rear wheel is for 180-200.

Reactions: mukle

· Registered
2006 Night Rod
56 Posts
Mike... I am not trying to make work for you but it would be great (when/if you had time) to make an updated how-to for the newbies here. I am very interested but the 2007 thread seems a bit out of touch with what may need to be completed currently.

Parts
Conversion bits
Time involved
Cost involved
Etc.

Just a thought and thanks for at least humoring me here.

Frank

· "Vrod King"
959 Posts
The old threads should have the info just that Eagle HD isn't around anymore. You could check with Scott at Fitzgerald's to see if he has something. Or try Vreelands HD as they do a bunch of racing parts.
For the front wheel it's kind of simple. The bearings in the Buell front wheel are 25mm i.d. so you'll need a later model front axle or you can have a machine shop turn your 1" axle down. You'll need some 1" i.d. shims that can be found at any Lowe's or Home Depot because the stock spacer on the axle are something like .160" to short. (I can't find my notes on the measurements.) After you get the wheel centered, you can work on the caliper. Just go with the 8 piston caliper. I was finding them on eBay for around $200. I made my own mount for the caliper using some 1/4" steel and some spacers. I made a pattern using some cardboard and transfer it to the 1/4" steel plate. Cut, grind, shape, drill holes and get the spacing right didn't take me very long to do. Of course I almost have my own fab shop in the garage.
The rear wheel is a bit harder to do. The bearings in the wheel are 30mm i.d. and your axle is 1" o.d. so you will need to have a bushing made. The Buell brake rotor is smaller than the HD one. Custom rotor or fab a mount for the caliper. For the drive side, go with a chain drive. You can find sprocket at a number of places. You'll need a spacer for the sprocket too. The sprocket should be for a 530 chain. Vreelands had drive sprockets. Check with them and you can set up whatever final gear ratio you what to run. That kinda it. Wish I could find my notes again.

· "Vrod King"
959 Posts
I've only been working with the XB series wheels as that is what most of the old school guys were using to drag race with. You really can use any wheel you want. You just have to do your homework on the bearing sizes to make them fit and how you're going to mount up the calipers.

Reactions: mukle
1 - 10 of 10 Posts