·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following information is based on these criteria:

-Narrowed rear pulley and narrow SE belt
-standard front pulley, offset pulley will work also but not needed
-brake tab notched for clearance of tire
-either stock wheels, pulley, compensator bowl, spacers, or aftermarket wheels, pulley
-with the AW wheel you need your original compensator bowl, pulley, and spacers, not the AW parts

Rear pulley dimensions (V-MOD sells them or you can get a machine shop to machine yours down)
-.900" wide for the 20MM belt
-.090 shoulder thicker than the inner ring, this leaves enough material to pinch the pulley back down over the ring as the factory did it

Belt information
-40627-06 149 tooth belt (domestic and for use with 28t front pulley)
-40658-06 rear belt 150 tooth (HDI and for use with 30t front pulley)

Chrome belt guard for narrow belt
-60501-06 belt guard, upper
-60515-06A belt guard ,lower

8" wheel
-You can run a 240 or a 260 tire because the 260 will pinch in enough due to the rim width to clear the narrow belt.

8.5" wheel
-A 240 will be slightly stretched out so it appears as wide as the 260 on a 8" rim
-A 260 can be run, as proven by tray, but the pulley needs to be spaced away from the wheel by about .185" This was done with an aftermarket wheel and the wider 06SE fender
More info here

Threads with good info:
How to do a HD 240 Reactor without buying the kit

taximech 240 install

Pulley info

·
CEMIRT Lifer
524 Posts
Excellent summary. Finally completed my 240 install, along w/Rick's tank, Arnotts air ride, and Progressive drop up front.

·
Jeff
1,306 Posts
Great Post Tim,

Just did the cheap man's 240, gotta finish a few other things, but looking forward to showing it off.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I also am in the process of doing my cheap(sort of)240.I did mine on a 8.5" wheel though and it was recomended to me to use an offset front pulley withe the 8.5.The 8" is fine without it.

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
For your information 65 ,the SE 2 pully's mentioned in the 'How to do a HD 240 Reactor without buying the kit' moves the whole (40 mm wide) frontpully 10 mm outwards.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ANNIEZZ said:
For your information 65 ,the SE 2 pully's mentioned in the 'How to do a HD 240 Reactor without buying the kit' moves the whole (40 mm wide) frontpully 10 mm outwards.
That is correct but the offset front pulley is not required. Taximech and myself and I am sure others are running the stock front pulley with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slammed Rod said:
I also am in the process of doing my cheap(sort of)240.I did mine on a 8.5" wheel though and it was recomended to me to use an offset front pulley withe the 8.5.The 8" is fine without it.
I run the 8.5 wheel with the stock front pulley. Clearance is fine. Many here are doing the same and have no problems.

·
Registered
666 Posts
question, I was looking at the Kosman wheel form you fill out to get your wheel modified, and it shows that you can specify how much wider you want each side. I'm guessing you want 1.5" on each side of a 5.5" wheel, correct?

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
I have done quite a few 240 conversions now. 3 of them have been on 05 and down bikes with all 06SE2 parts. The compensator bowl is smaller on the 06SE2. We found out the hard way the first time when it would not fit.

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
Just have everything together,when your doing the complete SE2 8'reactor setup you need the offset pully....the belt rides about 8mm from the outside edge(offset is 10mm) so it seems there will be 2mm short at stock pully,dont know what will happen....the rear pully is the main factor for where the belt will ride.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you use the stock components and have the rear pulley machined down you are removing material from the inside. The spacers stay the same so the outer edge of the pulley does not move. Therefore the offset pulley is not needed. Perhaps with the SE compenator and the Reactor wheels you might need it but with the AW wheels or a widened stock wheel it is not needed.

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
Last Questions

Ready to do my budget 240 tonight....

I have mounted a skinnier '04 comp bowl onto an '07 DX wheel, '07 skinny pulley and I plan to use the '04 rotor from my stock wheel.

Last questions...

on the rear...

Will the rubber cush be the same or different? (reuse '04 or use '07)

I am going to be cool with the spacers? (just need to maintain current set-up)

on the front...

'07 DX for stock swap...do I need to swap rotors? I plan to measure everything and put my calipers to good use, but I am also expecting this to be a painfree swap....

Thanks in advance

·
14,572 Posts
when mounting a 8" wheel in the rear, do I have to remoce the rotor and then get the caliper on then torq the rotor on? do i have to? or is it just easier if i do it that way?....

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
OK.. the combo should be like this from left to right:

07 pulley - 04 rubber - 04 bowl - 07 8" wheel - 04 rotor
use all 04 spacer, but see my note below for the left spacer

for installation, the way i did it is in this order
1.pulley + wheel slide into swingarm (brake rotor is detached)
2. position brake caliper on the swingarm's tab, align the holes
3. slide rotor in, use 1 or 2 screws to hold them in position
4. slide in axle - position left and right spacers
5. tighten axle screw
6. complete and tourqe brake rotor screws

note: i have 03A and use the same wheel + pulley combo. i ran across problem where my 03 stock left spacer is too short. i change it with a longer spacer (from 5/8" to 3/4"), detail in this post Im not sure why as others have been successful with stock spacers.

good luck!
Andy

·
14,572 Posts
OK.. the combo should be like this from left to right:

07 pulley - 04 rubber - 04 bowl - 07 8" wheel - 04 rotor
use all 04 spacer, but see my note below for the left spacer

for installation, the way i did it is in this order
1.pulley + wheel slide into swingarm (brake rotor is detached)
2. position brake caliper on the swingarm's tab, align the holes
3. slide rotor in, use 1 or 2 screws to hold them in position
4. slide in axle - position left and right spacers
5. tighten axle screw
6. complete and tourqe brake rotor screws

note: i have 03A and use the same wheel + pulley combo. i ran across problem where my 03 stock left spacer is too short. i change it with a longer spacer (from 5/8" to 3/4"), detail in this post Im not sure why as others have been successful with stock spacers.

good luck!
Andy

Thanks.... good info, I saw the rubber cush was same part # so I don't think they are any different?.... I'll keep an eye out on the left spacer...is it possible other's were a bit short as well, but just got it together and it worked out okay?

now, on my old rotor... it's on the wheel for good I'm afraid... twisted a torq bit with the air impact trying to get the bolts out, they seem to be in there but good?!? should I be using a long ass breaker bar instead? at this point I don't even care cuz I have two other rotors to choose from, but the one I was runnin was painted black in the center :banghead:

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Anyone done this with a Renegade rim from HogPro? Anyone in the Jacksonville FL area know how to do this. I am ready to go to the 240 tire, would be buying a Renegade rim from Hog Pro.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
hey Johnny -

just put together the wheels and see if your stock spacer fits. in my other post, i have pics where my pulley bearing doesn't sit flush with the face, it goes in about 1/8", hence the longer spacer to compensate that. they said no harley are created equal, yes? you might get lucky with yours :)

as long as you use non-brembo rotor, it should be fine. it was PITA for me to when trying to open the rotor, too much white loctite there. when i put them back i used blue loctite and tourqed as spec. they hold good after 2000 miles

Andy

·
14,572 Posts
got my rear on without much ado, thanks to all the great pics and posts!!

I bolted the rotor on after I slid it into the caliper and that seemed to work great.... my pulley had a bearing that was NOT flush, but my '04 wasn't flush either? anyway, I reused all the stock spacers and everything seems to be perfect! had the belt a little too loose, just had to jack her up again to slide axle back a tad, took a sjake down ride and eveything seem nice!! I love the 240, I was nervous I wouldn't, only seems to wanna stand me back upright in low speed turns, but mid speed and higher speed turns feel better than my 200...... I am a happy modder!!!!

·
MISSISSIPPI KID
1,352 Posts
240 cheap deal ...nay nay not me

·
14,572 Posts
1 - 20 of 315 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.