Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a set of Roadwinder wheels on in February this year, purchased over the net from Wisconsin HD. Got about 5000 km on them now, they have been kept clean (no dog piss etc) but I just noticed some bubbles forming under the chrome on the rear wheel, on the rim but close to the spokes. Has anyone else got Roadwinders, or seen this problem? I don't think my local HD shop will be interested in pursuing a warranty claim - anyone got any experience with warranty claims on this type of fault?

·
RFFR
2,717 Posts
me too

I just noticed the same thing on my rear roadwinder wheel and on my arlen ness pulley too. I just had them put on about 4 months ago. They are not real visible but i know they are there. And then i figured out why. I read a post a couple of days ago about problems some people encounter and the post said that you have to keep chemicals away from the bike. two weeks ago i closed up my pool and put all of the parts and chemicals in the shed with my bike i figured my wife would be happy they were not in the garage. needless to say the only thing in the shed is my v-rod now....My wife could not believe that this would happen. Roadwinder wheel 1200. Ness pulley 500. oh and the chrome swingarm has a tiny spot on it 400. Kepping informed priceless!!! Hope this helps get the chemies away from the bike.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmmm. I do have pool chemicals in my shed but not stored anywhere near the bike. Surely chlorine fumes would affect all chrome parts, if that were the case? I had my rear pulley chromed locally and no problems with it, it went on the same time as the Roadwinders. BTW bought my wheels on ebay for $770 the pair .... think maybe I got factory seconds?

·
Dances with Rain!
3,713 Posts
I have had similar issues with my recently purchased Reactor Wheels. Bought them off of Ebay from an HD Dealer. Description told me that they were pitted and flaking and that they were never installed on the bike. Paid a great price for both wheels.
Anyway, thought I would just chrome them once I got a hold of them. That turned out to be a major undertaking. Found a place in California that chromes wheels and spoke with the owner. Real nice guy and very technically orientated. ANyway he told me that HD has the wheels chromed to the minimum and thats why they flake. I sent the wheels in and had them rechromed in night chrome and he gave me a three year warranty on the wheels.
Company is USAChrome.com. If that is the wrong website, let me know.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts