Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like the title says, I've got an oil leak and bubbles from the front cylinder engine mount bolt. I recently pulled the motor to fixed a transmission issue at I've had all this loose recently. Anyone seen this? Advice? I'll try and get the video loaded later.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Like the title says, I've got an oil leak and bubbles from the front cylinder engine mount bolt. I recently pulled the motor to fixed a transmission issue at I've had all this loose recently. Anyone seen this? Advice? I'll try and get the video loaded later.

Just when you think you've seen it all. So did you use oil on the bolts for install? Any oil leak down from the top that could have gotten between the head and motor mount plate? Front head breather hose or bullet. Does the bubbling actually turn into continuous drips or just sit there like that with small bubbling? Worst case, that blind hole for the bolt isn't so blind and has a path to the oil inside the head. In that case, removal of that bolt, clean it all up and use Blue loctite as the sealing agent.
Ron

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I didn't oil the bolt. Just chased with a tap and cleaned up before install. Torqued it to spec. Thought I had a valve cover leak and redid the cover. I've only recently read about the bullet so haven't investigated that. Next step I think I'm going to used dye in the oil to trace the leak.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
No, I didn't oil the bolt. Just chased with a tap and cleaned up before install. Torqued it to spec. Thought I had a valve cover leak and redid the cover. I've only recently read about the bullet so haven't investigated that. Next step I think I'm going to used dye in the oil to trace the leak.
Clean the whole external area well with brake cleaner. Pull the bolt and see if it's threads are wet with oil using a Q tip up in the hole. Not sure why you needed to clean the threads unless someone used loctite in there before, which by the way would have sealed it from leaking down the threads. Generally, a chaser is best for cleaning up threads rather then a tap. They always seem to cut the thread larger then what the factory did and make them sloppy. Anyway, if the threads in the head are wet with oil residue, clean them and use blue removable loctite for the thread sealant and it should be fine. Likely just a porosity issue, allowing the oil to migrate from the inner part, down into the threaded hole.
Ron

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clean the whole external area well with brake cleaner. Pull the bolt and see if it's threads are wet with oil using a Q tip up in the hole. Not sure why you needed to clean the threads unless someone used loctite in there before, which by the way would have sealed it from leaking down the threads. Generally, a chaser is best for cleaning up threads rather then a tap. They always seem to cut the thread larger then what the factory did and make them sloppy. Anyway, if the threads in the head are wet with oil residue, clean them and use blue removable loctite for the thread sealant and it should be fine. Likely just a porosity issue, allowing the oil to migrate from the inner part, down into the threaded hole.
Ron
Did exactly that yesterday. Now I test and see if it worked. Threads definitely were wet. Only reason I chased the threads is out of habit. This bike has needed it in some areas and I tinker with it often. I'd not considered something specifically for cleaning threads other than a tap, so thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Did exactly that yesterday. Now I test and see if it worked. Threads definitely were wet. Only reason I chased the threads is out of habit. This bike has needed it in some areas and I tinker with it often. I'd not considered something specifically for cleaning threads other than a tap, so thanks for the tip.
Sounds good. Hopefully it's sealed now.
Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just when you think you've seen it all. So did you use oil on the bolts for install? Any oil leak down from the top that could have gotten between the head and motor mount plate? Front head breather hose or bullet. Does the bubbling actually turn into continuous drips or just sit there like that with small bubbling? Worst case, that blind hole for the bolt isn't so blind and has a path to the oil inside the head. In that case, removal of that bolt, clean it all up and use Blue loctite as the sealing agent.
Ron
OR LOCATE THE EXTACT LOCATION TAKE SOME CARB CLEANER AND SPRAY THE HELL OUT OF IT --THEN TAKE A POUNCH AND A SMALL HAMMER AND GENTLY DRIFT THE HOLE OR CRACK SHUT --WORK BOTH SIDES TOGETHER SEVERAL TIMES--USE TO HAVE THOSE SMALL LEAKS FROM TIME TO TIME ON THE SHOVELHEADS----IT SHOULD WORK ON THE MOLDED CASES AS WELL TRY IT IT CANT BE ANY MORE FUCKED UP THAN IT IS NOW

·
VRSC est -03
2,700 Posts
Thread Chaser Kit. Uses an identical kit from time to time. Handy. Ebay...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. Looks like the loktite did the trick. Nice to have her back after all the work done on her this year. BTW, the Andreani cartridge inserts seem pretty good on the test ride. Now the tuning begins.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts