Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed Bub 7 2-1 and find them a little louder than I would like. I would like to tone them down a bit. Does anyone know how to disassemble them and replace the baffle or at least wrap it with something to make them more amenable to my geriatric neighbors?

What tools would you use and what materials and where to get it would be helpful.

The end cap is a perfect fit and does not appear to have any lip I can catch to force it off without damaging the chrome. Can I push it off from the inside?

·
'04 1300
3,071 Posts
I wrapped the baffle in mine with some fiberglass sheets that I found on ebay. The end cap will come off, it just takes a fair bit of back and forth (once you remove the two pan head bolts that hold it in place). I used a couple of wood clamps and a lot of padding to hold the can, then my hands to work the end cap back and forth until it came out.

Prior to putting the end cap back on, I coated it heavily with high temp anti-seize to help with the next removal.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
John, PM Hotfoot - I sent him tons of silentex, which you need to pack around the baffle to quiet it down. He has plenty. Like 2 lifetimes supply! Joe

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Looks like I got a winter project.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sean,
Could I just leave the muffler installed on the bike and remove the end cap using a rubber strap wrench to work it loose? How does the baffle come out after that, just yank? I've never pulled a muffler apart before so excuse my ignorance.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
u cant get to the 2 bolts to undo the end cap if u leave it on the bike,,but damn it would be handy if u could,i used glass packing and steel wool on the outside of that ,much nicer sounding,once ur end cap is off get some pliers and just yank the baffle out wiggling it while ppulliing on it and as above use anti sieze before putting it together,once ur into it ,u will work it out ,just when u pack it with what ever ,pack it in steps so it fits the shape of the pipe and doe it bigger than the pipe and use tape to wind around it to sqish it down so u can shove it in and once its back together the heat will burn the tape and whala, the packing exspands out nice and tight

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I have had my Bub muffler apart several times trying to quiet it down. I wouldn't work on it while it is on the bike besides it only takes a few minutes to remove it. I found that a soft rubber hammer (white) works well to work the end cap loose if it is tight. I tap the top and bottom until it is far enough out that I can twist it off. When you pull the baffle out be careful not to distort the end of the baffle (the tip end) when you pull it out. The end of the baffle is rounded to fit inside the end cap so if you use any tools to grab the end of the baffle and distort it, the end cap will install with a little persuasion but it will be a bitch to get off next time around (if there is one).

I just recieved a 2nd muffler from Bub that I am planning on experimenting with and to my surprise it came packed with the ceramic matt around the baffle. The first one had no sound dampening material preinstalled.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to some support from the BUB folks I dismantled my muffler. The trick is to get a 2" PVC pipe, 2 ft long, and insert it in the inlet end of the slip on. Then rubber hammer away. This method contacts the baffle and pushes it out the back end along with the end cap.
In the process you will destroy the packing so be prepared.

I didn't think there was much packing and thought I could just add more. No such luck. That slip on is stuffed full with packing. I repacked it and now my mufflers are louder than ever.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now my question is How do you make them quieter. I have been searching for a different baffle and have been unsuccessful Bub Makes a quieter one but by only a few decibels. THe Gurl at the other end of the phone line was not enthusiastic about it.

·
'04 1300
3,071 Posts
In the process you will destroy the packing so be prepared.

I didn't think there was much packing and thought I could just add more. No such luck. That slip on is stuffed full with packing. I repacked it and now my mufflers are louder than ever.
Hmm. . this is interesting. I wonder if Bub changed the design a bit. Mine had zero packing in it. Here are some shots from when I removed the end cap and the baffle (leaving the muffler on the bike), and added the fiberglass.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier--lost track of this thread.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm. . this is interesting. I wonder if Bub changed the design a bit. Mine had zero packing in it. Here are some shots from when I removed the end cap and the baffle (leaving the muffler on the bike), and added the fiberglass.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier--lost track of this thread.
I'm with you. I didn't expect much of any packing and was suprised when I pushed the baffle out. It was quite tight. I had to dig the packing out with a long screwdriver and some praying.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With my wife's support and a putty knife I managed to squeeze a few more wraps of packing onto the baffle and have got it sounding a little mellower than the original Bub 7, but not by much.
Off to the tuner next week.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
rusty, i had the same as above no packing wrapped it like his , a bit better ,but then i took it to a shop and got a whole new baffle made with way more perforation and reduced in size by a few more mm ,which was easy, he just had to use some reducers down to the new size baffle , and as i said above , steel wool on the outside and the glass packing for around the baffle ,much better

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Hmm. . this is interesting. I wonder if Bub changed the design a bit. Mine had zero packing
mine is like his, no packing, even after packing maybe a few decibels less, maybe.

I have since mounted an insert inside, CC i believe

·
'04 1300
3,071 Posts
Can someone with the new version get a shot of the packing? I'm interested in seeing what's in there.

(Note to self, find someone with a new Bub 7 at next year's MWT and see what the sound difference is)

·
The Hawk
3,852 Posts
Mine came with no packing also when I received it a few years ago. I pulled it apart and insterted a packing blanket taken out of an aftermarket SuperTrapp muffler and it really help quiet the exhaust down.

Mike

·
'04 1300
3,071 Posts
Mine came with no packing also when I received it a few years ago. I pulled it apart and insterted a packing blanket taken out of an aftermarket SuperTrapp muffler and it really help quiet the exhaust down.
The wrapping I did on mine cut the rasp/rattle sound from the pipe, but the bark, at least at WOT, is pretty much the same.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can someone with the new version get a shot of the packing? I'm interested in seeing what's in there.

(Note to self, find someone with a new Bub 7 at next year's MWT and see what the sound difference is)
I should have thought to take pictures but I was unaware there was such a difference.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After much internet searching and talks to Baffle makers I got the impression no one makes baffles for Bub 7 2-1 pipes except BUB. Tried various ways of repacking to quie them down to no avail. I called BUB and they have a quieter baffle, not much quieter, 6-10 decibels quieter according to BUB.

I bit the bullet and plunked down my $70 received and installed new baffle today. Quite a bit quieter, mellower especially in the low rpm ranges. Noisy up top. Now I get to spend money on a dyno run.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BUB & 2-1 "Quiet" baffle

For the last week or so I have been running with the BUB 7 pipes with Bubs "Quiet" baffle installed. When I first installed it the Power Commander had the map for the standard baffles loaded and it did not run very well at all. Lots of popping at steady speed and deceleration popping when backing off and a significant performance difference. I suspected I was running to rich.
'
I tried several maps to no avail then I got the bright idea to remove the Power commander all together. What a surprise. The bike runs real smooth with no popping at all and good power throughout the rpm range to 9000 rpms.
'
I am, at this time, a bit worried about the capacity of the single pipe to handle the volume of exhaust the 1250cc engine will produce, to wit I am worried about restricting the engine with excess back pressure.

Went off to the Dyno guy yesterday and had him do a couple of pulls to see how the PCIII-less bike was running and I was real surprised. The A/F ratio, torque and HP ratings turned out almost identical to the stock baffles with a dynoed PCIII installed.
Attached is three pictures
1. Bike with Bub 7 2-1 installed
2. Two dyno runs. Blue run is with "Quiet" baffle and no PCIII installed, Red is stock Bub 7 baffle and a PCIII that had been mapped for proper operation.
3. Three separate pulls showing HP, Torque and A/F ratings at 100% throttle.

I lost a couple of HP but none I would ever notice. This probably could be remedied if I reinstalled the PCIII and had it mapped.
'
Conclusion:
I have replaced the stock exhaust with the BUB 7 2-1 with "Quiet" baffle and there is no need for a SERT or tuner of any sort. I do have a K&N Air filter installed. Other than that there are no engine modifications at all.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts