Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bruised, not broken

went down today, got off lucky. bunch of bruises and scrapes, the ribs are the worst, aside from the road rash. wearing shorts on the bike didn't help.

4 inch deep and 3 foot wide section of the pavement cut out, across all three lanes of traffic. no signs, cones, etc, of course. took me straight out, in a blink. you forget how fast the whole thing happens. thankfully i wasn't going more than 25mph.

i think me and the city of DC are going to have a chat. bike isn't terrible, but had it towed, the whole right side is scraped up pretty good, bars may be bent. i guess that's what insurance is for.

ride safe.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Glad you're OK man, sorry about the bike.
Don't forget to take pics of the road so you have ammunition. }:)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Man hope you heal up fast, It's been great riding weather . Yea B-more is torn up everywhere as well. I just assume now that every corner will bring a torn up road. Low gear and high revs have saved me a few times

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. any advice on dealing with the city appreciated. not sure where to start really, or what i'm asking for. i have insurance that covers bike damage and medical, so what would i be hitting them up for.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Assuming you are not going for mental anguish then I would take pictures and give the whole story to your insurance. You will end up paying the deductible but when the Insurance goes to battle with the city/state you will get you deductible back. Now if you want mental anguish or possible medium/long term injury then just get a lawyer fighting city hall without one is usually pointless.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
I agree with Shaggyhou about the method but I can almost hear the response now,
"Well you should have been in control of your bike in such a way that you should have been able to avoid blah blah blah"... and anyway the work is likely being done by a contractor. Bet signs show up there real quick too.
Anyway, sorry to hear about it, please get checked out and make sure those ribs are not broken. If they are it could turn ugly for you real fast. Ask me how I know :banghead: and BTW chest tubes hurt like &*$^%!#&@^()[email protected]#)*(!!!!!!!
Stop by your favorite pharmacy and buy some XEROFORM, put it on the road rash cover it with a gauze pad and then wrap it up. It will help the road rash heel with less scarring and scabing which means less dicomfort too. Not giving medical advice here, just 1st hand knowledge. Hope you heal up quick and let me now if there is anything I can do to help.

Chip

·
It's Only Money
1,321 Posts
Get a lawyer now and sic him on the city immedately. Photos of the road condition is a must. Glad you're OK.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys. just went by there to take more pics. they were just getting ready to patch it. but still no signs, nothing. passed by half an hour later, and they had it filled.

got a ton of pics of the original condition yesterday and them doing the work.

i'm going to make sure my insurance knows it wasn't avoidable. it was across all three lanes of traffic.

oh, i had a CAT scan at the ER last night, because my ribs hurt like hell, but they're not broken apparently

will be talking to my lawyer buddy later, he's a bulldog.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Glad you're not seriously hurt.

The way Texas works it has to be proven that a municipality knew of a hazardous road condition before they can be sued. Sounds like they knew about this one.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
This sucks... send the dogs after them.

Get well soon!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
good luck and glad you were able to walk away.
Was the road work being performed by the city or was it an independent contractor?

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hard to tell. here's some pics from the scene. this sign was near the corner, nothing like a warning, and hard to say if the work is even related to this.

Attachments

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Qwest is doing/paying for this work, not the city. That's GREAT NEWS for you. Have your attorney contact Qwest, they will pony up the dough a hell of a lot quicker that the politicians.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Good luck!!!! You could try calling the number on the bottom of that sign but I doubt it would get you anywhere. I love riding in D.C. but hate it at the same time. Its cool riding by all the monuments and along the Potomac but the streets suck in places and the drivers are wacko!!!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
DO NOT CALL QWEST if you intend on getting an attorney.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Qwest is doing/paying for this work, not the city. That's GREAT NEWS for you. Have your attorney contact Qwest, they will pony up the dough a hell of a lot quicker that the politicians.
Yup I totally agree here. I was hit with a construction fence that was hit by a city truck inside the Fenced in area. I went through the company that was doing the work they had me a checked cut with-in 2 weeks

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the input guys. is it just me, or is this not a safe roadway? problem is, i was traveling in the area of the lane closest to the curb (about where the water bottle is in that photo). no asphalt transition there. thought i could hold on, but i went over her.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup I totally agree here. I was hit with a construction fence that was hit by a city truck inside the Fenced in area. I went through the company that was doing the work they had me a checked cut with-in 2 weeks
but what did you get a check for? i have health insurance to cover the ER visit, and my repairs are going through my bike insurance, as well as health care deductibles, co-pays etc. state farm says they do not expect to find me at any fault for this, given the road condition, and the corroborating police report.

i guess i can ask my lawyer this.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
They paid so I didn't have to go through my Insurance on the Jeep. Told me to get 2 estimate and they gave me the Higher of the 2 . Also your Healthcare should be paid back for your medical or you will get Hit with higher rates down the road for that as well.

They say it's no fault but it's still recorded as Percentage paid out and that effects your rates . the Wife worked in insurance for 23 years.

Any contractor with the Gov carries Bond just for this type of thing and pay it fast to keep in good standings. They should have had signs up period.

But i also don't have to tell you D.C. laws are different from most other places but a Lawyer will know that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts