Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kids melted rubber to my pipes from their shoes. Anybody got any good suggestions for getting it clean without hurting the finish?

The HD shop suggested trying oven cleaner but they said they were only confident it worked for chrome. They weren't sure about the brushed chrome. Any experience with this?

·
Registered
135 Posts
My kids melted rubber to my pipes from their shoes. Anybody got any good suggestions for getting it clean without hurting the finish?

The HD shop suggested trying oven cleaner but they said they were only confident it worked for chrome. They weren't sure about the brushed chrome. Any experience with this?
Try some steel wool the very fine type (#0000). I've also used WD40 and GOOP-gone to desolve some compounds & adhesives. You could also use acetone since there isn't any other plastics on the muflers. Wear protective gloves though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Get the pipes real hot ,use a wooden paint mixing stick to get most of it off when its soft, the oven cleaner to get the rest off. Worked pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
use an oven cleaner first and let it sit for 5 minutes. If no go then 0000 steel wool used very lightly withg some kinda lube or even detail spray (which is a great lube for all sorts of painted surfaces etc..)
if a no go then you will need go more extreme but that will work. ride safe, paul

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! I'll be sure to post which of these worked best.

Thanks for all your help.
By the way, nice garage Hanny.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Melted Rubber on Pipes

I get scuffs and burnt rubber on my pipes almost every time I go out. I wait till the pipes are totally cool then use non abrasive tools (my fingers & fingernails) to remove the chunks. After that I use a clean cotton rag and clean gasoline or paint thinner. Like new. So far this has worked good. I find the satin chrome is actually more durable than regular chrome and prefer it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did the deed today. I used oven cleaner and a green abrasive sponge. The oven cleaner worked amazingly well. The green sponge is too abrasive for using on the brushed chrome. It left scratches. Though they are minor, I won't be doing that anymore.

Thanks for all the input guys. The pipes are looking gorgeous again.

Next step: exhaust mod. woo hoo!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts