Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Passion required.
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 CVO VRSCSE with a broken shifter shaft. I see from all the posts, this is not uncommon. According to the manual, this can be replaced without pulling the engine, which strongly tempts me to do it myself. At the dealership, there was mention of the need to be in a specific gear to do this, but they were unsure of which gear. Can you help me out here? :notworth::notworth:

·
Registered
17 Posts
you dont have to be in any particular gear, i changed mine right in my garage, one thing i would tell you is to go to sears and get a retainer clip pliers, also i would have a rubber mallet close by. once you pull the old one out you will have to quickly put the other in so that all the oil doesnt come out. another thing they failed to mention. also make sure you change the rubber seal or O ring as well. hope this helps.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Hi, long time no see.

Yeah, it's a quick fix. Get the pliers and the seals & o-ring, and you'll have the job done in 15 minutes.

·
Passion required.
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember you

Hi, long time no see.

Yeah, it's a quick fix. Get the pliers and the seals & o-ring, and you'll have the job done in 15 minutes.
I remember you. You had the coolest lookin' V-Rod at the Sept. '08 homecoming rally. Still got that bike?
I don't stay in touch on the forum too much anymore. I finally got to see the Harley museum last April for my 71st birthday. I was gonna ride there after the rally, but changed plans due to hurricane Ike, and rode around the Black Hills for a few days.

I ordered the parts. I have the pliers. Thanks for the encouragement.

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
shifter shaft

Replaced the shaft in my 05 B not long ago..very easy job..took 15 minutes maybe..just need a set of snap ring pliers.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
I remember you. You had the coolest lookin' V-Rod at the Sept. '08 homecoming rally. Still got that bike?
I don't stay in touch on the forum too much anymore. I finally got to see the Harley museum last April for my 71st birthday. I was gonna ride there after the rally, but changed plans due to hurricane Ike, and rode around the Black Hills for a few days.

I ordered the parts. I have the pliers. Thanks for the encouragement.
Yes, still have the bike... thanks for the compliment.

I wish I'd known you were coming to Milwaukee, I'd have made sure we hooked up. If you ever come this way again, let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Done

Just swapped out my shift shaft, it came out super easy, had to wiggle a bit to get it back in and it worked like a charm. My bike was stuck in 3rd so that gear obviously works!

Thanks to everyone on this thread and other parts of this forum that talked about their success stories!

·
Registered
167 Posts
hiya , 05B ,same deal -broken shifter shaft. easy to swap out .heres our problem ,shes jumpin outa gear now ,3rd and 4th ,mainly on decel. its a worry as this is never happened before.maybe falling off the stand did more damage than we first thought ,any thoughts?

·
Talk to the boot!
496 Posts
Had the same problem after swapping out my (first) shift shaft. Turns out the earlier model year engines have shift springs with legs that are too short, and one or both may fall out of alignment when the shift shaft is removed. The shift shaft would go back in, and it would seem to work, but indeed it would drop out of gear a lot, especially when decelerating. Had to have the engine split open to fix, and now have the updated springs that won't slip out of alignment.
Not sure what year the springs were updated, though.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Shifter actuator assembly was changed in 2005 (new P/N is 35486-05K).
Actually, the change occurred mid 2004. Luckily, mine had the new style when it broke.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Actually, the change occurred mid 2004. Luckily, mine had the new style when it broke.
Actually, according to the Harley 2005 Technical Forum (dated January 24, 2005) the 35486-05K shifter actuator assembly was available December 2004. It could be that these were used in the factory before then.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Actually, according to the Harley 2005 Technical Forum (dated January 24, 2005) the 35486-05K shifter actuator assembly was available December 2004. It could be that these were used in the factory before then.
Mine was built in January 2004 and had it.

They switch production on their bikes in March the previous year... So, there are 2004s made mid 2003. Somewhere between there, they switched over.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Crap I got an o4 b model and i just broke my shifter shaft a week ago. I ordered the parts from harley a few days ago and im hoping ive got the updated parts????!!!!!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
so weve accepted that the 05B needs to go into the bike shop to have the shifter repaired (as above) , is there anything we can do to keep costs down ,like removing the engine ourselves .

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
so weve accepted that the 05B needs to go into the bike shop to have the shifter repaired (as above) , is there anything we can do to keep costs down ,like removing the engine ourselves .
Why would you accept that?

Many 05Bs with broken shifter shafts have been repaired without removing the engine.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
to repair shifter actuator assembly ? ,not outer shaft .cheers
If the shift actuator needs to be fixed and you're not going to repair it yourself you'd need to check with the technician to find out if an engine brought in from outside is accepted. However, if you can remove the engine, you should be able to split the case and fix the transmission.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts