Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 mm cap screw with the head broken off. This screw retains the foot peg and shifter assembly. I drilled a hole into the center of the remaining screw, sprayed it with wd40 and attempted to remove it several times with an extractor. I’m concerned about breaking the extractor. It will not come loose. Does anyone an idea how to crack it loose?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Sounds like a midwest rust belt victim (I used to be a Chicago resident so I know all about rust and stuck bolts):

Lots of PB blaster (soak it overnight) and a decent extractor should get it done.

If not, drill it out (step up in drill bit sizes as you go of course).

WORST case...find a friend with a small mig welder and tack something to it to get a big wrench on it.

As long as you don't eat into the frame you can keep attacking. The bolt is already garbage (as I am sure you know).

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
A heat gun should come in handy here.. let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Heat.....

I have a 6 mm cap screw with the head broken off. This screw retains the foot peg and shifter assembly. I drilled a hole into the center of the remaining screw, sprayed it with wd40 and attempted to remove it several times with an extractor. I’m concerned about breaking the extractor. It will not come loose. Does anyone an idea how to crack it loose?
You'll probably need more than just an air heat gun. Propane might do it but an acetylene torch would be best. A MAP gas torch would work just fine also. but using acetylene you need to be careful and take your time. You might damage or melt something, and you can discolor or burn paint and powdercoating. A MAP gas torch doesn't generate as much heat as acetylene but can still do some damage. The important thing is to get the dutchman out without physically damaging anything. Paint and powdercoating can be redone. I've done a lot of this kind of stuff and experience and knowing what to do is key. Patience is important. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself find a bro that has this experience or just bite the bullet and bring the bike to a an indy welding shop. It'll just take them a few minutes to heat things up to loosen things up so your easyout/extractor can easily remove the stud/dutchman.

·
Autobanmod
9,907 Posts
as you already drilled it, you might attempt to simply use a lever on the footpeg and shear it off

·
Registered
17 Posts
LH drill bits are always a good option for broken bolts. A good long soak with PB Blaster or Penetrol is way more effective than WD40 and the LH still twists out on the bolt while also creating some heat. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts