Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting on steel braided coolant lines and chrome thermostat housing. Went to drain coolant from radiator and the "wings" on the plastic plug snapped off. Had alot of fun digging out the rest of the plug. I fear I may have damaged the threads but I chased them with a tap.

To avoid this in the future, is their a metal plug out there with a hex head or a bolt head? Plastic is for the birds.

Also, any recommedations to avoid the plug seizing on me again? Which is why I think I could not get the plug out in the first place.

I am afraid the damage to the threads will cause leaks? Permatex help this? Any ideas? I am worried.
Thanks for your help.

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
well permatex will make it difficult to remove the plug again. If your able to clean up the threads use either pipe dope or teflon tape. My first choice would be pipe dope. If the treads are gummed up you can use water weld made by JB it'll work on your radiator and give you something to re tap the plug to. I would find out the thread pitch and go by a brass plug for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I am going to use it! Not familar with pipe dope. Can you get this in plumbing supplies at a hardware store?

Brass plug is a great idea. Do you think I should add a rubber washer or cut to fit some gasket material for it in addition to pipe dope?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
well permatex will make it difficult to remove the plug again. If your able to clean up the threads use either pipe dope or teflon tape. My first choice would be pipe dope. If the treads are gummed up you can use water weld made by JB it'll work on your radiator and give you something to re tap the plug to. I would find out the thread pitch and go by a brass plug for it.
WaterWeld is good for patching the gas tank in a hotel parking lot as well. :D It lasts all the way back to Las Vegas.

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
WaterWeld is good for patching the gas tank in a hotel parking lot as well. :D It lasts all the way back to Las Vegas.
haha the look on everyones faces when I was applying it was priceless. Hell I bet that tank will still hold fuel. Anyone heard from Joseph?

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I am going to use it! Not familar with pipe dope. Can you get this in plumbing supplies at a hardware store?

Brass plug is a great idea. Do you think I should add a rubber washer or cut to fit some gasket material for it in addition to pipe dope?
no need for a washer gasket the pipe fitting is designed with a taper unlike regular hardware. And yes pipe dope can be found at any hardware store. I put it on my drain plugs for all oil changes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brass plug from the hardware store and pipe dope worked great! Catastrophe avoided and thanks for the help!

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
Brass plug from the hardware store and pipe dope worked great! Catastrophe avoided and thanks for the help!
atta boy

·
reservation dogs
1,993 Posts
haha the look on everyones faces when I was applying it was priceless. Hell I bet that tank will still hold fuel. Anyone heard from Joseph?
Just opened this thread and found my name being used, water weld is great stuff I keep a tube of it in my tool kit. That repaired tank would have lasted for ever, I couldn't chip it out with a hammer and chisel. I'm coming to MWT again this year I'll ry to have a problem that's harder to solve.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
After installing my trike kit.I found a potential leak coming.Theres a mounting bolt that rubs one of my lower gas tank ears.I did grind the head a bit to create about 1/16" clearance,but who nows if it'll hold up,plus my belt is very close to the belt.
I'm not sure what the thickness of the plastic tank is,I understand there is a rubber liner
inside the plastic outter shell,guess I'd better stock up on water weld.

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
Just opened this thread and found my name being used, water weld is great stuff I keep a tube of it in my tool kit. That repaired tank would have lasted for ever, I couldn't chip it out with a hammer and chisel. I'm coming to MWT again this year I'll ry to have a problem that's harder to solve.
well hopefully I'll be there to solve it for you. I'm glad it worked out for you. I can't wait to see everyone again, hopefully I can make it up.

RLC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts