Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody broke a pressure plate? Mine broke three of the five stands at Ohio last weekend and I am not sure why, everything looked fine. Also does anybody know of a billet one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I decided to change the static spring shims on my clutch. As I was removing the lifter plate, alternately loosening the three bolts I'd put in to retain it while removing the large snap ring, I heard a pop. It was pretty obvious what let go once I removed the lifter plate and springs.

One of the spring towers on the pressure plate snapped off. Pretty crazy given that it was almost completely loose at the time with very little spring pressure on it.

On further inspection 3 of the other 4 are cracked too, after about 130 runs.

Just to clarify, it has nothing to do with over torquing or dropping, and it would seem the threads would strip before cracking the plate and a complete failure.

Recommend everyone inspect the back side every time the clutch is out, and probably have a spare or two on hand. Ordering a couple tomorrow. ?

Attachments

·
Noel
4,581 Posts
Good catch and good advice, feeling a bit nervous with the number of passes (259) on my pressure plate, even though she has been in hiatus for a few years now, I feel compelled to pull it out now and replace for peace of mind.!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts