Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all ya V-rodders. Own a 100th Annvry rod with less than 40,000km done so far. The Gear Shifter Actuator Assembly is now broken. Based on what Dealership told me, mine's not the first such case. Anyone with such related experience? Thanks !

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Yes definitely go to the HOW-TO section. "By the book" procedure is to split the cases, but I believe it was Max who was able to work out a procedure to replace it without splitting the cases, you just have to follow his procedure to the letter.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Absolutely impossible without splitting the cases. I'm working on this right now.

Reactions: Ikeman

·
Premium Member
10,816 Posts
Quite possible. Many have done it.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
I still can't figure out how people are breaking these splined output shift shafts unless they are karate kicking the snot out of the shifter. Not much different then the bt shafts and they never break. School me.
Ron

·
Registered
251 Posts
They are designed to break at the indentation so if the bike is dropped there is no internal transmission damage caused. At least that's what I've been told. Mine broke at the indentation and still caused internal damage which led to me replacing an actuator and drum.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Back in Black
2,589 Posts
:them:
Plus if you ever see one out they are a little thin between the splines. I have replace two (different bikes) of course one was wrecked bad then broke later and one has electric shift that may have helped

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
They are designed to break at the indentation so if the bike is dropped there is no internal transmission damage caused. At least that's what I've been told. Mine broke at the indentation and still caused internal damage which led to me replacing an actuator and drum.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Dropping part I understand but seems many are from normal use. Either that or the dropping part has been left out of the story.
Ron

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
you would think that if it was made to break when dropped or stressed then,they would have made it replaceable on the early models without splitting cases,and wouldn't it be better to have designed the rear ball joint to pop or drop shaft break instead of input shaft breaking?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi to all ya V-rodders. Own a 100th Annvry rod with less than 40,000km done so far. The Gear Shifter Actuator Assembly is now broken. Based on what Dealership told me, mine's not the first such case. Anyone with such related experience? Thanks !
Yep, had to crack the case! 30 to 40 hours and $300 bucks later

1 - 14 of 14 Posts