Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
knife_edge
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:banghead: Well, I was on my way to Burlington, Vermont on the 21th of Sep for the week end and as I was making a left hand turn at a gas station somewhere in the town of Manchester on route 7. I was rolling in and suddenly the bike went dead with no responce, not even the the lights would turn on. I checked the battery cables, the fuses and the hardness connection with no responce. I knew that the battery had been a problem before and had been replaced twice. I did have a burning smell from under the air box and notice that the battery was leaking onto the engine area.
What bothers me the most is that I did metioned to the Harley dealership where I bought the bike from that I was getting a code for High Voltage Charge. I had them check the voltage regulator out several weeks ago and they said everything was ok.... Either they didn't check it properly or it wasn't checked at all. I've spent far to much time at different HD dealships to get things repair all steming from the voltage regulator causing problem with different electrical parts of the bike.
So, the good thing was that I wasn't by myself and my friend had to ride out at 3:30 pm to New York and fine a battery for me because it was late in the day for a technition to have look at the bike. Plus, they were closing at 5:00and they wanted me to leave the bike over night. That was out of the question, I didn't have the time and the bike would have to be tow over to New York. After waiting 3 hours I could here my friend Brad arriving from New Yory with my battery and once installed we were on our way to Burlington. After around 50 more miles I began to smell that same battery smell. We made it to our destination and early the next day on Saturday I took the bike to the HD shop. At first they also wanted me to leave the bike. I told them that I couldn't and that I would wait. With that said, they took the bike and right away they put the bike up on the lift. Those guys were great at Essex Harley Davidson in Burlington, Vt. they were able to fine the original problem being the voltage regulator that was the cause of all my problems. I was out of their by 12:30 and we even had lunch on them. Now I have to deal with my dealer who is going to see if I could be re-emburst for battery that I bought. I should put the pressure on them and have check the whole bike.

·
----->
7,589 Posts
Good to hear you got it fixed. Have the dealer check the blinker fluid and see what they say. If you gotta leave the bike for that....Run!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
First, your lucky the batteries didn't explode in the bike. It's been known to happen with overcharging. It's not worth the risk, if you know the voltage is too high (High voltage code) then it needs to be fixed. If you had this looked at by your hometown dealer, then it should be on your work order. If it is, then you bring that back to them, and demand compensation.

You'll be lucky if the battery acid doesn't cause all kinds of havoc on the parts it toasted. The finish of the frame, the cables and wires, the throttle cable, etc.

To ride that bike with a known overcharge issue is pretty reckless in my opinion. :2cents:

·
knife_edge
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou for your advise. I'll do a thorough check of those bike parts that you've mentioned. I think that I going to call customer service at HD head quarters and see If they can take a look into the type work that my HD dealership is doing for their customers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts