Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got home from a ride today and noticed pink fluid down the right side of the bike. I took off the right panel and the airbox cover and saw that the cover to the coolant expansion bottle was broken. The plastic nipple that attaches to the back coolant drain line was broken off in the coolant line, and therefore disconnected. Made a slight mess on the right side of the bike. Has anyone else had this happen? Is there any reasonable way to ride it to the dealer (plug the hose, etc), or is it better to just pick up the parts and replace at home? I'm not exactly sure how the cooling system works.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
I am interested in this problem as mine is broken also. Although it is on the inside. The tube that attaches to the cap is broke off. I don't think it is serious.

Ken

·
Pete K
192 Posts
crash, i had the same thing happen on my third ride. the dealer wanted to come get it and trailer it to the shop. i didn't want this. my luck it would fall off truck. i chose to just replaice this myself. i was under warrantee and after installing it .n 5 minutes they gave me credit for the part. i believe the tank and cap were sold together for 28 bucks. it is a common problem and i bet part is stock. i did not ride bike as i wasn't sure either if it would hurt anything. good luck. pete

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
This seems to be a pretty common problem, I have heard atleast a dozen people report similar problems with the coolant bottle.

Max

·
9 second club member
2,326 Posts
my rod has had a slow leak that shows from time to time on the frame also. but the dealer cant seam to find the problem. I have stared to use another dealer for service but have not had a chance to have them check it out.

·
Pat's Fan
363 Posts
Yeah me too!! Broken cap! same result, new cap under warranty. Back then it was only sold as a set.........bottle and cap. I had to talk the dealer into not changing the whole bottle! I suggested that they just install the cap (was there for 1000 mile service too) and send back the new bottle and old cap for warranty and bill them how ever they wanted to.

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the inputs. I guess that's why they are now selling the caps separately...sounds like a bad design.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
I had all the above prob. w/ my tank.From day 1 it leaked and I told them what was wrong.It went in 3 times and they never bothered to check what I was talking about because the line was off still.I finally screamed LEMON to a harley rep.Sure enough 15 min. later the dealer was calling me at working asking to come pick up the bike.They replaced tank,cap,and line.and no leaks since.HD does know about all 3 of these issues.

Also if anyone has the big hose coming from the water pump collapsing when you shut the bike off.It is caused from the filler neck ID being to small.Dealers know of htis they were all sent a tech bulletin.

·
4,638 Posts
Now you guys have gone and done it.... As soon as I read the previous post about the bottles I ran out to the garage and checked mine :hyper: I just cannot understand what is causing the bottles to break? I gota go and check my bike again... :hyper: HELL I wont sleep all night .... :sad: :sad: :paper: :paper:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
:stooge: :cool:

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a picture (The cap is rotated out in the picture...normally it is facing in to line up w/ the drain hose):

Attachments

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
:banghead:
Mine were just cracked not broken.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I bet they only are broke after 500 to 1,000 miles
That is because a tech probably checked fluid levels at the break-in service and was not careful. Could also happen at leter services.
I read about this on the other forum quite a while ago and told my dealership to leave it alone the level is fine and did not want it broken and mine is still fine.
That's my opinion on the matter.
Tech's that are not aware or not "fessing" up on damaging it. Only to be noticed later.
BobT

·
4,638 Posts
BobT,
Reason #56 Why you do the first 2 services yourself....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Found mine broken as well, dealer tried to imply that I broke the nipple off while working on the battery. It was replaced under warranty.

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BobT - you might have something there. I bet the little nipple-thing would be pretty tempting to use as a pry lever when opening the cap. That could possibly crack or break it. Mine was in for 2500 check-up about a month ago. hmmm....

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Mine broke too!!!! I think that the heat is making them brittle. The replacements have a handle on them so they won't get broken so easy.

·
4,638 Posts
Crash said:
BobT - you might have something there. I bet the little nipple-thing would be pretty tempting to use as a pry lever when opening the cap. That could possibly crack or break it. Mine was in for 2500 check-up about a month ago. hmmm....

CRASH,
It would be so simple to tell you if they did crack or break it instead of letting you ride off and possibly screw up your bike

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really don't think the dealer did it. I think it's just a poor design. Everyone should be careful with these caps though..apparently they can be pretty brittle.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts