Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Pat's Fan
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it happen today. Pulled away from a red light and went around the car in front of me (didnt have the hammer down either) and about half way thru 1st gear when SNAP! Belt broke completely in half (very cleanly). Luckly, i was just able to coast over to the side of the road and get out of every ones way with out any issues.

Questions:

Has anyone else had this happen to them?
How long is a belt supposed to last?
How difficult is it to replace it myself? (plan on getting the 28T belt now)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
CW-VRod

I had never heard of a belt breaking but can see how it is possible especially if a rock or something got between it and the pulley.

They are advertised to last 50k miles.

They are easy to replace, simply need to loosen the rear wheel and allow it to go forward and remove the cover over the sprocket and take one shock bolt out on the bottom left.

Now my question were you running a 28tooth pulley? My belt squeaked with the 28tooth pulley but the squeak went away when I reinstalled the 30tooth pulley making me wonder if the stock belt was never meant to be bent that tight.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Depending on the age of your bike I would ask the dealer about either covering it under warranty or seeing if HD will discount the replacement. It's a $200+ part and is supposed to last at least 50K miles. It it broke clean then it would seem like a defect. Your dealer might be able to determine what happened once they see the belt.

Max, According to the dealer that just tuned my bike the factory spec on belt tension is too high. That's usually what causes the noise. He did say that you need to find a happy medium between the whine and slapping and that the 28T bikes, even with the new belt, make more noise than the 30T's. The factory says 6mm @ 10 lbs. He suggests 10mm - 12mm @ 10 lbs. Silicone spray is also what he suggests to reduce the noise and help keep the belt clean.

·
Pat's Fan
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Max,
Yes I am running the 28T and mine did squeek too. I first tried some belt dressing and then went to a silicone spray. I probabally only applied it 4 times.
Im going to try to go with the warranty route........im not optimistic that it will work though.........it is essentially a wear item.
Max......... Thanks for the info........thought it would be harder till i read your directions and then actually looked at the bike. Kinda went Duh! When i saw what you were talking about! Pictures worth a 1000 words!
Thanks

·
Pat's Fan
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to dealer today..... No belts are covered under the warranty. Oh well! (really didnt think so b4 i called). Called a few dealers in my area.........no belts in stock. Ended up ordering one ....... 5-7 days before it gets here!
Supposed to rain here all week anyway........but if i get a good day ill have to take the sporty out for a scoot!

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Max said:
CW-VRod
My belt squeaked with the 28tooth pulley but the squeak went away when I reinstalled the 30tooth pulley making me wonder if the stock belt was never meant to be bent that tight.

Max and CW-VRod, were you running the TurboTec pulley or the V-Mod pulley (loaded question)?

John

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The 28T HD kit 40014-04K comes with a new belt. Does anyone know if it is a different length than 30T stock belt?

·
Pat's Fan
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ketsugo said:
Max and CW-VRod, were you running the TurboTec pulley or the V-Mod pulley (loaded question)?

John
Just trying to suck me in, arnt ya! LOL:rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER:
For the record....... I did not know that there were two sources available for the 28T when i bought mine. If i did i would have asked people which they prefered and why.

Now that ive already gone an purchased the V-Mod one what are the pros/ cons of this compaired to TurboTec's pulley?

·
Pat's Fan
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the belt yesterday.......installed today! I tightened it to the recomended 6mm @ 10lbs. Havent ridden it yet to determine if there is anymore noise or not.

How much stretch will these belts give? Is it likely that it will stretch out to the 10mm mark that mjw930's service guy recomends?

One side note:
When i was installing it i was trying to figure out how to get the 10lbs of pressure with out having to buy some special belt tool. John had once mentioned of hanging a 10lb weight but b4 i broke out the weights i came up with the idea of using my fish scale. Its short and compact enough to use........worked great!

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Might check around I heard that it should be 6lbs instead of 10lbs.Little loose is better than to tight! :cool:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Kaz,

I think the net of 10 lbs @10 mm should be pretty close to 6 lbs @ 6 mm ;)

Bottom line, just tight enough to keep it from flapping into the belt guard under load is what the Service Manager said.

Mark

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I don't have to worry about that stuff with my Chain!:diablo:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts