Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just looking for help anywhere. I got a 5000w generator with a 10hp B&S motor from a yard sale. It sat for years but was barely used. The Carb is a Walbro 5-4993 and it was all gunked up. After cleaning it all out and getting it back together the motor will run, but it is running really really fast. It does not have a lo or hi adjustment for the jets, just a mixture screw. I have the mixture screw all the way in and it still runs fast. I back it out and it does not make a difference. When i turn the kill switch gas sprays out of the carb from the nozzle in the middle of the carb until the motor comes to a stop. I have put a new float in it and it did not change anything.

Apart from replacing the whole carb, does anyone have any suggestions?? I appreciate any help on this. :bash:

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
the govenor linkages may be stuck.the float level could be high.be doubly sure you have got all the crud out of the passage ways.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Whole carbs are cheaper than rebuild kits. just replace it, and be done! Joe

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
the govenor linkages may be stuck.the float level could be high.be doubly sure you have got all the crud out of the passage ways.
Agreed. The generator itself normally regulates the throttle position as amperage is called for. It should idle without a load. Check all the linkage and reset buttons.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the governor linkage seems to be moving fine. it moves back and forth trying to control the engine speed but it cant because the fuel is pouring in. i used hopps #9 gun solvent on the carb and almost a whole can of carb cleaner. the solvent really worked good breaking up the gunk that was in the bottom of the bowl. i also used a sewing needle to poke in the small places and get the gunk out. i am going to go take the carb back off and inspect the float position and see if that is the issue. its just been so damn hot outside to do anything lately.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
I do small engines on the side so take it for what its worth. :)

Gun solvent or a can of spray cleaner isn't going to get the job done, You need to soak the carb to get it clean. If you can save the soft parts you won't need a new rebuild kit.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I do small engines on the side so take it for what its worth. :)

Gun solvent or a can of spray cleaner isn't going to get the job done, You need to soak the carb to get it clean. If you can save the soft parts you won't need a new rebuild kit.
and you need compressed air to blow it out.

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
A tip I received from an experienced bike mechanic when rebuilding some carbs recently was to disassemble the carbs and soak the hard parts in a solution of Oxiclean overnight. I did this and blew them clean with compressed air and they worked great.

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
the governor linkage seems to be moving fine. it moves back and forth trying to control the engine speed but it cant because the fuel is pouring in. i used hopps #9 gun solvent on the carb and almost a whole can of carb cleaner. the solvent really worked good breaking up the gunk that was in the bottom of the bowl. i also used a sewing needle to poke in the small places and get the gunk out. i am going to go take the carb back off and inspect the float position and see if that is the issue. its just been so damn hot outside to do anything lately.
did you air blast the carb for the win?

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
You assembled the float level/needle valve incorrectly and you have an air intake leak.

When you remove the float bowl, hold the float up as you open the fuel petcock. No fuel should flow until you lower the float.

You will have to remove the carb to find the broken gasket.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, so i put a new float on the carb and it is sitting nice and level. i flipped the carb upside down after i had it all back together and tried to blow into the inlet and it did not let air in, so that tells me that the float needle is functioning properly. I put it back on and it still did the same thing, fuel spraying in from the nozzle. I took it back off and took it apart and now it is soaking in the oxyclean solution overnight. I will use compressed air to blow it out tomorrow and see if that fixed it. Thanks for all the input and advice!

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Make sure you pull the emulsion tube out before soaking

Here is a pic of the kit, the emulsion is the long brass piece.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Make sure you pull the emulsion tube out before soaking
Sure did. That is the thing that i am calling the nozzle. That is where fuel is spraying into the carb uncontrollably. Im letting this thing soak all day tomorrow and going to used the compressed air at work to clean it out at the end of the day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i let it soak overnight and throughout most of the day. Rinsed it off real good and used compressed air to dry it. No change. I think that the emulsion tube may be bad.

Think it could be possible that the tube could have corroded just a small amount which made the pores a slight bit larger, causing it to pour to much fuel into the mix?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts