Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing the Brembos on my 04A. WOW what a difference. If anyone has been contemplating this upgrade I HIGHLY recommend it!!!!

·
Living Free...
11,581 Posts
They are pretty awesome!

·
Registered
39 Posts
How much did you have to replace?
Calipers
Rotors?
Hand control reservoir?
Foot control?

What did it end up costing you?

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
WINK said:
Calipers
Rotors?
Hand control reservoir?
Foot control?

:them:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
:them:

inquiring minds want to know, plus people with sucky stock brakes. . .

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WINK said:
Calipers
Rotors?
Hand control reservoir?
Foot control?

I bought the setup from vrodcustoms. Ray is a great guy to deal with. PM him and see if he can hook you up. I replaced the calipers (had to have a bushing made for the rear), the clutch and brake lines, the clutch master and slave cylinder, the rear brake slave and master cylinders and the front master cylinder. You can use the smaller rotors but I went with stock Brembo rotors up front (they are bigger) and a Road Winder stock size rotor in the rear.

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
how much did it run? i would bet a lot!$$$$$$

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gaprider0 said:
how much did it run? i would bet a lot!$$$$$$
Well it was less to upgrade the brakes then swap pipes! I don't want to quote a price in case Ray had to raise his price for some reason. PM him.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I got my calipers and master cylinders from Ray also ($300) -- he advertised them on the forum and I paid what he was asking, so its just a matter of running a search. I also spent about $70 or so for a new clutch actuator and another $70 or so for a new front brake line. Another $100 for Brembro front and rear rotors from SmokinJoe. Bought a bleeder from Max -- hundred and fifteen or twenty bucks. I re-used the rear brake line and the clutch line after flushing with mineral spirits. You'll also need to by two brake caliper bolts -- I think they were a dollar each. All told, probably about $750 including new brake fluid. I do that Johnny Cash "one piece at a time" plan so I don't feel it so much.

I love them except for the weaping clutch and brake master cylinders, and that's probably because I overfilled them. They do stop well and have a great feel -- plus they look better than the stock calipers/master cylinders IMHO, and itsn't that what really matters.

Worth the money in my book -- if it goes faster, it ought to stop faster.

Take care. cw

·
Registered
130 Posts
VrodG said:
I changed rotors and calipers and still running Dot 5 in all the systems. :)
I am with "G"...I just replaced the calipers and rotors on my 04A...Still DOT5 for me too...almost 10,000 miles on them and no regrets...

·
VRSCF Road-Rod Owner
328 Posts
DOT5 & Brembos

How reliable is running DOT5 with the Brembo setup? Aren't the Brembos rated for DOT4? Is there a possibility that the DOT5/Brembo combination might cause brake failure at some point?

I'm asking because I'm gathering the pieces for a conversion to Brembos & I assumed I'd have to change over to DOT4.

Thanks...Qman

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
How reliable is running DOT5 with the Brembo setup? Aren't the Brembos rated for DOT4? Is there a possibility that the DOT5/Brembo combination might cause brake failure at some point?

I'm asking because I'm gathering the pieces for a conversion to Brembos & I assumed I'd have to change over to DOT4. ...
You'll get lots of opinions on this. I've been using it for a couple of years in some QTM Brembo 4 piston/4 pad calipers. Check out this thread for a little more discussion.

·
RIP ALEX
2,033 Posts
I got my stuff from Ray also. I didnt use the clutch or brake resiviors. Just bolted the calipers and new rotors on. Stops as good as my 06 R with Brembo's and DOT 4. Just cant use DOT 5 if you have ABS. Only thing that wasnt a direct swap was one bolt on each caliper was too long and had to replace it with a shorter one.

·
VRSCF Road-Rod Owner
328 Posts
Front but no rear

I've sourced the parts for the front Brembo conversion - rotors, calipers, master cylinders, etc.

Since the front & rear brakes systems are separate, is there anything wrong with going ahead with just the front conversion? Or should I wait until I source the rear Brembo parts before I install anything at all?

I guess what I'm asking is if there is any problem if I mix the two systems temporarily - front Brembo & rear pre-Brembo? Anyone tried this before? How did the brakes feel?

Thx.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
...Since the front & rear brakes systems are separate, is there anything wrong with going ahead with just the front conversion? Or should I wait until I source the rear Brembo parts before I install anything at all?

I guess what I'm asking is if there is any problem if I mix the two systems temporarily - front Brembo & rear pre-Brembo? Anyone tried this before? How did the brakes feel? ...
Yes, like I mentioned, I have QTM sourced Brembos (their 4 piston/4 pad version for the V-Rod) on the front only of my '02 VRSCA. I still use the Kelsey-Hayes rear caliper. Almost any rear caliper design would be more than enough to lock the rear brakes if you're not careful so changing just the fronts to Brembo is OK IMHO. The one benefit of changing both front and rear is that you only need to stock one size of pads.

·
RIP ALEX
2,033 Posts
I've sourced the parts for the front Brembo conversion - rotors, calipers, master cylinders, etc.

Since the front & rear brakes systems are separate, is there anything wrong with going ahead with just the front conversion? Or should I wait until I source the rear Brembo parts before I install anything at all?

I guess what I'm asking is if there is any problem if I mix the two systems temporarily - front Brembo & rear pre-Brembo? Anyone tried this before? How did the brakes feel?

Thx.

On my 02A I am just running Brembo's in the front. No issues running pre Brembo setup on the rear.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
I went whole hog on my 04 B model turbo.

I changed to Brembo chrome calipers, replaced the rotors, rebuilt the rear master cylinder and changed the handle bar master cylinders to chrome. I also changed the brake lines to prevent any potential for cross contamination. It was last winter's project and they work great.

If you watch Ebay quite often you pick up bits and pieces if our good friend Ray is out or you aren't in a rush.

·
Registered
130 Posts
About 17,000 miles ago, I bought a used set of front/rear 06 Brembo calipers and rotors for my 04 "A" model...I bolted them on, bled with fresh DOT5 and have been riding ever since...About a month later, I bought an 06 front brake line for cosmetic reasons as the 04 line was slightly too long and looked kinda funny...

My bike now has almost 43,000 miles total...A great upgrade in my opinion...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts