Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I've bought some Brembos to go on my 2003 VRSCA and I am replacing the brake lines.
  1. I picked this up for the front brake lines, Gafler steel braided. "HARLEY DAVIDSON 2006-2011 VRSCA / SCD / SCDX V-Rod / Night Rod / Special GALFER BRAIDED STAINLESS STEEL FRONT BRAKE LINE KIT"
  2. The new Brembos from a 2006 use DOT4 brake fluid since the old 2003 brakes used DOT5 what do I have to run through the system to flush it properly? I plan on using a vacuum pump, this will be my first two-wheeled brake mod.
  3. I am going to get the 3rd Brembo for the rear I have noticed the old brake lines go from rubber to a hard bracket and line mid bike. What's involved here to do this right?
  4. Is there anything else I might have missed so far?
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hi All,

So I've bought some Brembos to go on my 2003 VRSCA and I am replacing the brake lines.
  1. I picked this up for the front brake lines, Gafler steel braided. "HARLEY DAVIDSON 2006-2011 VRSCA / SCD / SCDX V-Rod / Night Rod / Special GALFER BRAIDED STAINLESS STEEL FRONT BRAKE LINE KIT"
  2. The new Brembos from a 2006 use DOT4 brake fluid since the old 2003 brakes used DOT5 what do I have to run through the system to flush it properly? I plan on using a vacuum pump, this will be my first two-wheeled brake mod.
  3. I am going to get the 3rd Brembo for the rear I have noticed the old brake lines go from rubber to a hard bracket and line mid bike. What's involved here to do this right?
  4. Is there anything else I might have missed so far?
Thanks for the help
Flush really well with denatured alcohol before you put any brake fluid in it, as the DOT 4 and DOT 5 do not mix well.
Both the later Brembo rear and the earlier rear calipers use a mixed rubber and steel pipe. The early pipe will fit onto the Brembo caliper but because the banjo is a slightly different angle to the banjo on the later pipe it touches the bracket slightly and needs a little tweaking. If you are not comfortable doing this may be better to replace pipe with the later one.
I assume you have the discs as well to go with these calipers as they are a slightly larger diameter. If you try to run the smaller discs the pad will not have full contact and you will end up with stepped pads which will result in a non functioning brake later on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flush really well with denatured alcohol before you put any brake fluid in it, as the DOT 4 and DOT 5 do not mix well.
Both the later Brembo rear and the earlier rear calipers use a mixed rubber and steel pipe. The early pipe will fit onto the Brembo caliper but because the banjo is a slightly different angle to the banjo on the later pipe it touches the bracket slightly and needs a little tweaking. If you are not comfortable doing this may be better to replace pipe with the later one.
I assume you have the discs as well to go with these calipers as they are a slightly larger diameter. If you try to run the smaller discs the pad will not have full contact and you will end up with stepped pads which will result in a non functioning brake later on.
I haven't put all the parts together yet, rotors are on the hunt but I wasn't aware of the size difference, so thanks. I'm comfortable wrenching a lot, been doing it for decades on 4 but on 2 wheels, I'm a bit freaked out about removing the rear tire. I can do everything else, but the wheels are making me a bit antsy.
As for the rear brake line, I will go with the newer Brembo version. My old lines look pretty bad, its time...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts