Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2300 miles on my 06 and I have Brembo brakes. There is a grind and a little squeal once in awhile, not all the time. I did a search but no one has addressed this question. Thoughts? Brakes should last longer than 2,300 miles correct?

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
most likely there not wore out, my 06 made all kinds of noise up until i bought some lyndall brakes from sharkey at the v-shop. i think i got the gold z-plus not sure its been a while. just pm sharkey and he'll hook you up. there easy to change too, so easy a cave man can do it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much. Is a little annoying to have that squeal at each slow stop. Faster stops not so much.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Thank you so much. Is a little annoying to have that squeal at each slow stop. Faster stops not so much.
i have had the same problem with the rear brakes on my aw also and have tried the ebs sintered pads but they were just as bad as the orriginals.i got sharkey to send me some lyndals and they are pretty good yet even they groan abit once you get a few miles and some hard brakeing on them.i got the lyndal z pads and i think the golds may be a better pad so dont skimp go for the best if you do decide to go that way..im surprised also we dont hear more from others having this issue.my 02 never had this problem and seeing the brembos were supposed to be better i would think this shouldnt happen.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
I have had zero problems with noise on my Brembo's (2007 VRSCX).
Might try cleaning them up real good with brake cleaner. Take pads off and inspect them. If plenty of material I would use a fine grade sand paper and scrub the top surface off.
Check rotors for minimum thickness. I think it is .177" or 4.5MM but check for your particular bike.
Edited to fix incorrect thickness.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Might try cleaning them up real good with brake cleaner. Take pads off and inspect them. If plenty of material I would use a fine grade sand paper and scrub the top surface off.
Check rotors for minimum thickness. I think it is .018" but check for your particular bike.
That's pretty thin.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
That's pretty thin.
Did it again. Can't seem to get that dimension right on the first try.
Actual should be .177" or 4.5MM.

Will Correct. Thanks Dr. Dave.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Check rotors for minimum thickness. I think it is .177" or 4.5MM but check for your particular bike.
Edited to fix incorrect thickness.
No, no, no, don't use brake cleaner. Ask anyone in the brake industry, that stuff is no good. If you ask the people at Brake Tech or Galfer for example, they will tell you to use detergent and water only.
You can sand the brake pads and rotors with 80 grit emery cloth to remove any glaze, then wash the pads and rotors in detergent and water. In my experience with the stock Brembo V-Rod brakes is there is a little squal under hard braking, but it isn't to me a problem. I'v never had any bike with completely silent brakes all the time under every circumstance and don't expect it. Now, if it sounds like an old trash truck stopping, I do something about it. Sometimes all it takes is a couple of hard stops from speed to break the glaze and quiet down noisy brakes.
A carbon ceramic or kevlar pad might be quieter on stainless steel than a sintered pad, and would not wear the rotor as much as a sintered pad will. Sintered pads work well in wet weather but are very hard on the rotors.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Thanks, I will clean but I think I am going to try the gold pads.
glad to help out...

IMHO the Z-Plus pads will do the trick for you... garanteed not to squeek....PM answered....

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
No, no, no, don't use brake cleaner. Ask anyone in the brake industry, that stuff is no good. If you ask the people at Brake Tech or Galfer for example, they will tell you to use detergent and water only.
You can sand the brake pads and rotors with 80 grit emery cloth to remove any glaze, then wash the pads and rotors in detergent and water. In my experience with the stock Brembo V-Rod brakes is there is a little squal under hard braking, but it isn't to me a problem. I'v never had any bike with completely silent brakes all the time under every circumstance and don't expect it. Now, if it sounds like an old trash truck stopping, I do something about it. Sometimes all it takes is a couple of hard stops from speed to break the glaze and quiet down noisy brakes.
A carbon ceramic or kevlar pad might be quieter on stainless steel than a sintered pad, and would not wear the rotor as much as a sintered pad will. Sintered pads work well in wet weather but are very hard on the rotors.
:them: and I tend to disagree with any and everything Philty has to say :D If your brakes are in good condition and the noise still bothers you, you need a louder exhaust

1 - 13 of 13 Posts