Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this? Does it make a real noticeable difference? Do you swap out just the cailpers and pads? Anyone have a parts list?:notworth:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Calipers, pads and rotors.

VRodG uses DOT 5 silicone based fluid with the old style master cylinders. He says it works just fine.

RJ

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rotors

is the bolt patern on the rotors that "fit" with the brembos the same as the bolt patern on the stock 03 wheel? Does anyone know?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Ernie82 said:
is the bolt patern on the rotors that "fit" with the brembos the same as the bolt patern on the stock 03 wheel? Does anyone know?
Yes it is. I have a stock 2003 and my GF has a stock 2006. The wheels swap back and forth with no issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
rjrivero said:
Calipers, pads and rotors.

VRodG uses DOT 5 silicone based fluid with the old style master cylinders. He says it works just fine.

RJ
+1

I have almost 10,000 miles on my Brembo/DOT 5 conversion...

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Ernie82 said:
Has anyone done this? Does it make a real noticeable difference? Do you swap out just the cailpers and pads? Anyone have a parts list?:notworth:
I converted my '05 to Brembros -- I did the calipers, rotors, master cylinders (front and rear, plus clutch), front brake line, and clutch actuator. I used the '05 clutch line and the rear brake line. You will also need two shorter front caliper bolts. I cannot tell any difference on the rear brake, but the front brake is definitley more responsive. I also did Progressive springs and SE fork oil in the front forks. I am sure the springs and fork oil contributed some to feel and responsiveness. Nevertheless, I think the Brembos are a good upgrade and worth the money. Only problem I've had is the master cylinders weeping brake fluid, but I think that is because I initially over-filled them. I am running DOT 4 brake fluid ..... I think the general consensus is that DOT 4 is a better fluid, but you must be careful not to let it get on your paint. The Brembros are designed for DOT 4, and I figure that's what you ought to run in them unless there is a good reason not to.

Just my thoughts.

See ya. cw

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
The Brembos make an extremely noticable differance. the 05 and earlier rotors are a smidge smaller in diameter than the ones that came on the 06 and later bikes. They have worked well for me though and no one I know of that has done the conversion and used 05 or earlier rotors has had an issue. Don't get any cross contamination of DOT 4 and 5 though. Very bad.

·
Inked up Irishman
2,829 Posts
The rotors for the brembos are 11.8" and the Hawes system uses 11.5" so if you don't change out your rotor keep an eye on your pads they will actually run over the top of the rotors and at some point they will touch and you wan't have any brakes.. just a word of advice...

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
cfw said:
I converted my '05 to Brembros -- I did the calipers, rotors, master cylinders (front and rear, plus clutch), front brake line, and clutch actuator. I used the '05 clutch line and the rear brake line. You will also need two shorter front caliper bolts. I cannot tell any difference on the rear brake, but the front brake is definitley more responsive. I also did Progressive springs and SE fork oil in the front forks. I am sure the springs and fork oil contributed some to feel and responsiveness. Nevertheless, I think the Brembos are a good upgrade and worth the money. Only problem I've had is the master cylinders weeping brake fluid, but I think that is because I initially over-filled them. I am running DOT 4 brake fluid ..... I think the general consensus is that DOT 4 is a better fluid, but you must be careful not to let it get on your paint. The Brembros are designed for DOT 4, and I figure that's what you ought to run in them unless there is a good reason not to.
Just my thoughts.

See ya. cw
How does $2500 in paint work do for a reason NOT to?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
One thing to note is the front rotors with the brembo are about 1/8th of an inch larger in outside diameter and they appear thicker. I'll stick a caliper to a set today and confirm this but it is something to keep in mind when making the change is that you really need to swap everything IMHO.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Yes the brembo rotors are thicker and bigger in dia, I wouldn't run brembo calipers with per 06 rotors. The later brembo rotor are thicker to fix the warping problem.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
rjrivero said:
How does $2500 in paint work do for a reason NOT to?
Certainly, if you don't have a basic level of mechanical skill and competence, you shouldn't be handling DOT 4 around your paint, regardless of whether it’s stock paint or a $2,500 paint job. By the same token, if you don't have some basic mechanical skills and a level of confidence in those skills, you probably shouldn't be working on your brake system period.

I certainly don't have (and don't claim to have) the level of expertise to recommend to others that they disregard the manufacturer's specification on a component of their bike as important as the braking system. That is a little more reckless than my ethics and morals permit.

Frankly, I thought changing out the brake system and bleeding the lines was a fairly simple process, but, perhaps my mechanical skills are more advanced than I thought, though I am certainly no motorcycle mechanic.

Pretty is as pretty does (I think Forrest Gump may have said something along those line....). I guess if you just want to swap out the calipers and keep the stock master cylinders and run DOT 5 so you can tell everyone you have Brembros on your bike that's fine. I personally wanted a better braking system (to go along with the better acceleration system and better suspension system) so that my bike would stop better (I think that's what the fella that started this thread was asking about). I personally would rather put my money in making my bike go faster, stop faster, and perform better than spending money on a paint job. But that's just me -- I don't have anything against a nice paint job, its just not very high on my list. If you favor form over function (lots of folks do, like those folks that have to wear little alligators or little ponies on their teats) that is certainly your prerogative.

So I guess the answer to your question is No; in my judgment a $2,500 paint job is not a legitimate reason to use DOT 5 over DOT 4 in Brembros. Otherwise, I guess everyone who's bike is an '06 or later should rush down to the dealer and have their brake fluid swapped to DOT 5 because their scared of damaging their paint. I think the better course is if you're not competent to work on your braking system, leave it to someone that is.

That's just me though -- I'm sure others have different opinions. I say to each their own.

Take care. cw

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
The Brembos are great! I am going to convert my Road King to Brembos also. Ask joeduval about the Brembos. We swapped bikes Sunday so he could check them out (his has a turbo so it didn't take him asking twice :D).

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
cfw said:
... The Brembros are designed for DOT 4, and I figure that's what you ought to run in them unless there is a good reason not to. ...
I don't want to get into the debate of DOT-5 vs. DOT-4 and I agree with everything you say about using DOT-4 except this statement. There is nothing different in the seals between the Brembos and the previous VRSC brakes (made by Kelsey-Hayes) that should prompt someone to switch to DOT-4. Brembo says to use the fluid recommended by the manufacturer of the other brake components, so for earlier bikes DOT-5 is OK. I agree that DOT-5 has negative (and positive benefits), as does DOT-4. Switching fluids requires complete disassembly and thorough cleaning and any soft part should be replaced. I don't think you need to switch fluids when changing calipers (if the calipers are new and haven't been filled with fluid) unless motivated by the benefits of the one over the other.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
JSC said:
Rj- I think that kid on the BMX bike is taunting you again.
I'm not taunting anyone, but perhaps I was a bit hasty in my post and should have edited some of out if someone thought I was taunting anyone, ..... in the meantime, I did a few minutes of research and quickly found the following:

B. All brembo braking products use natural-rubber base seals, and therefore are INCOMPATIBLE with DOT-5 SILICONE-based brake fluids. DOT- 5 SILICONE-based fluids react with natural-rubber seals to swell them WHICH CAN CAUSE SEVERE PISTON RETRACTION PROBLEMS. There is no cure for problems caused by DOT- 5 use other than complete seals replacement - USE ONLY DOT-3/4 NON-SILICONE TYPE FLUIDS such as CASTROLTM 'LMA' in your brembo components.(Yes, we know the cap on the rectangular master cylinders says "DOT 3 - 5 Fluids"-BUT PLEASE NOTE: Silicone DOT- 5 fluids are NOT generally in use in Europe, but Glycol-based "DOT-5.1" fluids ARE. Hence, the "DOT-5" cap designation). at

http://www.tawvehicle.com/brembo_tech_info.htm

Again, I'm certainly no expert, but I don't want to mislead anyone.

BTW what's wrong with being a kid on a BMX -- I wish I was a kid and I wish I could ride BMX.

Now I've got to get back to work and quit playing with you girls.

See ya. cw

·
Registered
519 Posts
cfw said:
I'm not taunting anyone, but perhaps I was a bit hasty in my post and should have edited some of out if someone thought I was taunting anyone, ..... in the meantime, I did a few minutes of research and quickly found the following:

B. All brembo braking products use natural-rubber base seals, and therefore are INCOMPATIBLE with DOT-5 SILICONE-based brake fluids. DOT- 5 SILICONE-based fluids react with natural-rubber seals to swell them WHICH CAN CAUSE SEVERE PISTON RETRACTION PROBLEMS. There is no cure for problems caused by DOT- 5 use other than complete seals replacement - USE ONLY DOT-3/4 NON-SILICONE TYPE FLUIDS such as CASTROLTM 'LMA' in your brembo components.(Yes, we know the cap on the rectangular master cylinders says "DOT 3 - 5 Fluids"-BUT PLEASE NOTE: Silicone DOT- 5 fluids are NOT generally in use in Europe, but Glycol-based "DOT-5.1" fluids ARE. Hence, the "DOT-5" cap designation). at

http://www.tawvehicle.com/brembo_tech_info.htm

Again, I'm certainly no expert, but I don't want to mislead anyone.

BTW what's wrong with being a kid on a BMX -- I wish I was a kid and I wish I could ride BMX.

Now I've got to get back to work and quit playing with you girls.

See ya. cw
Wow. That is completely the opposite of what Brembo told me when I did my conversion. I had 3 different companies including Brembo say DOT 5 was absolutely not a problem on the VROD brakes. Brembo, HD, and CCCS all told me not a problem. Interesting.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
cfw said:
.. B. All brembo braking products use natural-rubber base seals, and therefore are INCOMPATIBLE with DOT-5 SILICONE-based brake fluids. DOT- 5 SILICONE-based fluids react with natural-rubber seals to swell them WHICH CAN CAUSE SEVERE PISTON RETRACTION PROBLEMS. There is no cure for problems caused by DOT- 5 use other than complete seals replacement - USE ONLY DOT-3/4 NON-SILICONE TYPE FLUIDS such as CASTROLTM 'LMA' in your brembo components.(Yes, we know the cap on the rectangular master cylinders says "DOT 3 - 5 Fluids"-BUT PLEASE NOTE: Silicone DOT- 5 fluids are NOT generally in use in Europe, but Glycol-based "DOT-5.1" fluids ARE. Hence, the "DOT-5" cap designation). at

http://www.tawvehicle.com/brembo_tech_info.htm ..
I've seen this information before. It's quoted all over the web. However, this is B.S. from TAW Vehicle Concepts, Inc., it's not from Brembo. There are no DOT approved brake components that are incompatible with DOT-5 fluid. Again, I'm not saying one is better than the other but this "incompatible" information is not true.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts