Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was winterizing my bike a few weeks back, and noticed oil puddling in the lower airbox, which seemed very odd. My curiosity lead me to open the throttle and look down the velocity stacks, where I noticed oil baked on the intake valves and some on the intake runners. I then called the dealer to inquire about breather issues, and apparently this is a known issue - just not to me.

As I thought about things, I remembered the backside of my mufflers becoming progressively more brownish/black this summer, and I always try to use 93 Octane BP or Mobil gasoline. The discoloration was giving me a headsup, but I discounted it as having used bad gas a few times. For what it is worth.

The task is rather simple and requires replacing the lower airbox, which is required since the breather is part of the complete assembly. The TIP is regarding the Spring Loaded Hose Clamp for the rear head breather tube. Prior to sliding the lower airbox into position, PRE-UNLOAD the hose clamp (i.e. maximize the inner diameters) with a pliers AND WIRE TIE the clamp "ears" together, and slide the tied clamp over the rear cylinder breather tube. However, do not over tighten the wire tie as you will have to slide the wire tie off the clamp ears once you have the tube mated with the read cyclinder head breather port and slide the clamp into position.

The other step I took was to place Blue Masking Tape over the rear cylinder head cover to avoid scratching it during extraction and re-install of the hose clamp.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
I was winterizing my bike a few weeks back, and noticed oil puddling in the lower airbox, which seemed very odd. My curiosity lead me to open the throttle and look down the velocity stacks, where I noticed oil baked on the intake valves and some on the intake runners. I then called the dealer to inquire about breather issues, and apparently this is a known issue - just not to me.

As I thought about things, I remembered the backside of my mufflers becoming progressively more brownish/black this summer, and I always try to use 93 Octane BP or Mobil gasoline. The discoloration was giving me a headsup, but I discounted it as having used bad gas a few times. For what it is worth.

The task is rather simple and requires replacing the lower airbox, which is required since the breather is part of the complete assembly. The TIP is regarding the Spring Loaded Hose Clamp for the rear head breather tube. Prior to sliding the lower airbox into position, PRE-UNLOAD the hose clamp (i.e. maximize the inner diameters) with a pliers AND WIRE TIE the clamp "ears" together, and slide the tied clamp over the rear cylinder breather tube. However, do not over tighten the wire tie as you will have to slide the wire tie off the clamp ears once you have the tube mated with the read cyclinder head breather port and slide the clamp into position.

The other step I took was to place Blue Masking Tape over the rear cylinder head cover to avoid scratching it during extraction and re-install of the hose clamp.
You replaced your lower airbox to fix the oil spraying? I wish that you would have read this (post #9) first. It might have saved you the money.

·
Noel
4,613 Posts
The task is rather simple and requires replacing the lower airbox, which is required since the breather is part of the complete assembly. The TIP is regarding the Spring Loaded Hose Clamp for the rear head breather tube. Prior to sliding the lower airbox into position, PRE-UNLOAD the hose clamp (i.e. maximize the inner diameters) with a pliers AND WIRE TIE the clamp "ears" together, and slide the tied clamp over the rear cylinder breather tube. However, do not over tighten the wire tie as you will have to slide the wire tie off the clamp ears once you have the tube mated with the rear cylinder head breather port and slide the clamp into position.
Good TIP! :notworth:

I'll try this with one modification, use a small ZIP TIE, to clamp the ears together if I can get the tie to close tight enough.

Once the hose & loosened clamp are back on the rear cam cover tube, cut the TIE with a small wire snip.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right on with the process - that is exactly what I did. With my '07 AW and the snips/needle noses I have, I could not cut my plastic wire tie, so I simply mated the breather tube with the rear cam cover, slid the wire tied spring loaded hose clamp into place, and then pulled the wire tie off. I originally tried to cut the tie, but I could not reach with the tools I have.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to mention - hold the clamp and breather tube in place with a finger as the wire tie/zip tie is removed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts