Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

So I took my '03 Anniv. in for it's 1k service on Saturday with 1014 miles on it. Today is Monday, and yesterday's weather sucked, so no riding.

This morning, I rode 10 miles towards work (so a total of about 20 miles from the service handoff), I'm in 4th gear at 4k rpm, and it starts to lurch on me (similar to a lugging). Within 1 mile, the lurching is so bad, I have to pull off the side of the road.

I called the dealer and got them to trailer the bike in. They got it on the lift and just called me to say it's the recall problem, even though my VRod wasn't on the list of VIN numbers. They're gonna loan me a Dyna Low Rider overnight ( :thumb: ), should be fun to compare.

Does this diagnosis sound right? Should I have them check anything else? It seems like an awful coincidence to have this problem 10 miles after my 1k service... I'm more inclined to believe they screwed something up in the service.

Thanks,

KARAF

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
That would seem to be about the normal complaint for the fuel flange failure.

Max

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Max said:
That would seem to be about the normal complaint for the fuel flange failure.
Max, any reason it would happen right after my 1k?

KARAF

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Possible coincidence, but at least you get a loner bike while they have yours......

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
That's great they gave you a loaner. I don't think very many dealerships do that anymore. I'll be interested to know how you like the Dyna Low Rider. I took one on a test ride once and it was a very laid back, smooth ride. Felt like I was in a cadilac.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Karaf it may have just been coincidence since we do know they fail. It may have been that any movement checking things helped to push it along into failure but the important thing is that they are taking care of it.

Max

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are right, the important thing is they are taking care of me. The loaner is a white dyna wide glide with Screamin Eagle upgrades. Great sound and loads of power on the low end. TOTALLY different handling and feel tho', gonna be strange riding home tonight.

Thanks guys for the feedback,

KARAF

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Karaf... glad to hear nothing worse. You sure have been enthusiastic about your bike since you got it, and I'd hate for anything to dampen that. Let us know how it turns out
Greg

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greg687 said:
Karaf... glad to hear nothing worse. You sure have been enthusiastic about your bike since you got it, and I'd hate for anything to dampen that. Let us know how it turns out
Thanks Greg! Given that I have no close friends who ride, and my wife has yet to spend any time on the back (no Sundowner yet), VRodForums is my support group as much as my technical reference. It's support like yours that enabled me to overcome my initial fears of riding this VRod.

To make a short story long...

The dealer confirmed my problem was the fuel flange. Given that my bike rode home like a dream (with it's new synthetic oil from the 1k service), I'll believe them as long as it doesn't crap out on me again.

Regarding the Dyna Wide Glide... the comparison to a Cadillac is a good one. It kinda floats along and it had lots of power. But, it wasn't nearly as comfy as my VRod. My local MoCo Ride Captain says it's because the VRod is 'my bike, but it's more than that. The gas tank was so wide that I had trouble keeping my feet on the pegs. And the weight is up high and forward, much less stable than the VRod. The tires are skinnier too. It was fun to try, but getting back on my bike was honestly like getting home from a long trip and laying in my own bed. (Yes, even after only 1000miles of using it.)

From the first time I sat on a VRod I've said it fits me like a glove and just 'feels right'. Now I have more data to back that up.

Love my :vrod:

Thanks again everyone,

KARAF

1 - 9 of 9 Posts