Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
FOO
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a V-Rod with 1200 miles and I dunno how it was broken in.
I"m gonna break it in to 7500 unless there is a reason to go further.

On the xlforum they say that keeping piston travel under 3500 fpm (7400 rpm for the V-Rod)
will improve reliability. Is that about true for the 1130?

3500 / 2.84 stroke * 2 / 12 = 7394 RPM​

That was my intention, because 7400 will get you about 116 mph; who needs more?

·
FOO
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but I dont know if the PO broke it in at higher RPM.
My understanding is that you could create a ridge on the cylinder wall.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
it could happen but i've never seen it, as long as its not smoking by 1200 miles i'd ride the hell out of it and not worry about it. i had mine on the redline before a 1000 miles. and it run perfect til the day i crashed,i'd change the oil and filter before i rode it, and check the coolant and tires and ride it like its rented.

·
Registered
398 Posts
have you changed the oil yet or know if the previous owner has had it done? If not you probably should. Then ride it like you normally would-and that includes often trips to the rev limiter. A lot of guys will tell you to switch to amsoil...sorry didn't read the previous post

·
It's Only Money
1,321 Posts
I pretty just rode mine without a whole lot of thought about the break in regime. I had a bit of oil consumption up until 5,000. Since the 5,000 mark and the switch to Amsoil, I haven't used a drop since.

Just ride it and don't lug the motor. Things should take care of themselves. This is a great motor and pretty bullet proof.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i liked amsoil , but it was mostly because it was very accessible, about any of the v-twin oils are fine. just make sure its for a wet clutch.i've heard bad things about syn3 but i personally haven't had any problems, because i've never used it.

·
FOO
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
have you changed the oil yet or know if the previous owner has had it done? If not you probably should.
The PO changed it 3 times in the 500 miles that he had it, and it looks wonderful, so I"ll change it in the spring.

You guys see no advantage to limiting the RPM to 7500? I cant believe it.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
The PO changed it 3 times in the 500 miles that he had it, and it looks wonderful, so I"ll change it in the spring.

hell i done a rolling burnout in the parking lot as i left with the bike, it had 11 miles i think. it was on the drag strip at about 600 or 700 miles.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts

All the big bore engines I have built here at home have been run to 9000+ rpm within their first 4 miles. I have never built an engine that used oil or blew up. All are also broke in using synthetic oil.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Last rebuild 2 heat cycles....Rode the hell out of it...boosting 8 lbs after 2 miles.

Something like that...lol

Right Ken

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
this ain't your grandpa's Harley. ride it like you stole it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
You have to realize that this is not your typical HD motor. Time and again it has been shown that this motor will burn less oil if it ridden hard from new. I have ridden mine like I stole it since new and have not had the first issue. This motor is made to turn high RPM's for hours on end.

·
FOO
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
there won`t be a wear ridge in a v-rod cyl.. run the hell out of it , a v-rod can take it..
Ok. Great!

But if you go 80 in second what do you need the other gears for? :)

Code:
8000	      52.2       77.7       97.1      112.5      125.6  MPH
8250	      53.9       80.2      100.2      116.0      129.5  MPH
8500	      55.5       82.6      103.2      119.5      133.4  MPH
8750	      57.1       85.0      106.2      123.0      137.4  MPH
9000	      58.8       87.5      109.3      126.5      141.3  MPH

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
Ok. Great!

But if you go 80 in second what do you need the other gears for? :)
You don't - if you don't mind having to gas up every 50 miles or so.
YMMV
:stilpoke:

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
I can do 72 in first...lmao

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
All the big bore engines I have built here at home have been run to 9000+ rpm within their first 4 miles. I have never built an engine that used oil or blew up. All are also broke in using synthetic oil.

Yeup,and that's just about all the time,or mileage you get to seat the rings in.There is a procedure for this,I'm sure you know it well,that if followed correctly,just about any IC engine will have the rings seated within a couple of miles,or minutes of initial running.
Particularly w the Revo,if the rings are not seated properly within the 2 to 3 mile window,they will spend up to the next 5000 miles seating in.
Antything else that needs a breaking in period is not any where near as critical as the rings.

someone has given some incorrect advice to you along the way.if you can put a ridge in the cylinders of the Revo,I want to see them.
Things I'd be more concerned with on a used V-Rod is the clutch,people love to fry them,especially beginners.The brake and clutch fluid,condition of the shift linkage and so forth.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts