Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Breaking in an exhaust :hmm: , is there such a thing?

I'm trying to modify a RT map and bike "feels" better. Someone told me the flow characteristics can change up to a point when with a new exhaust. Is this :bs: ? Please :helpme: with any comments.

I do not want to cheat myself into thinking my "tuning" has made the difference if there are other things to consider :mrgr: .

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Pipes will "break in" but it's primarily the packing that settles (or burns off). The pipes tone may change but it's flow shouldn't. If it feels stronger then it's probably the result of your tuning ;)

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ego boost. THANKS!
Will dyno it. Probably next week.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Eddie,
It's the Flugal Valve in the Active Port of you JM Exhaust system.The Heat will burn a Protective seal around your Valve Keeping all the Hot Gasses in.This will speed up the Scavenging effect thus making your exhaust system Perform Better as Time goes on! :angeldev:

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Kaz, you should be a salesman. That sounded good enought to be true!

Greg

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Super Kaz said:
Eddie,
It's the Flugal Valve in the Active Port of you JM Exhaust system.The Heat will burn a Protective seal around your Valve Keeping all the Hot Gasses in.This will speed up the Scavenging effect thus making your exhaust system Perform Better as Time goes on! :angeldev:
What I will do is clean it real good so heat dissipates better while offering less resistance to outside wind. I'll use a strong metal polish so it also becomes lighter. What kind of grease do you use on the exhaust bearings so it flows better? Maybe tighten the collector pulleys so they sync :mrgr: .

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
eduarprmd Mark was right on, the packing in the muffler will burn out and settle so a pipe will continue to change for up to 10k miles or longer but the effect on flow is usually very little and the largest difference is in the sound deadener that they install.

Max

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Ed,
I only use the Finest Teflon Carbon Base Radial Sealed High Compresssion Racing Grease!It's cost More but if you ever saw My Muffler Bearing You'd get some Too! :thumb: It good for almost 3 more RWHP! :eek:

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn and I thought I had the edge on you with the bearing grease. It don't matter if $500 a can if it's the finest. Do you use K-Y for gas anal lysing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts