Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my DX, and I was wondering if anyone has added any mods to their bike before they put 1000 initial miles on break in. I have my k&n filter, CFR Exhaust, and CFR Tuner begging me to put them on! I am worried about what the Stealership might say if I put all of this on when I bring it to them for my first service. What do they do on that service? Is it a BS chargefest for something I can do myself? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Storm Trooper said:
I just picked up my DX, and I was wondering if anyone has added any mods to their bike before they put 1000 initial miles on break in. I have my k&n filter, CFR Exhaust, and CFR Tuner begging me to put them on! I am worried about what the Stealership might say if I put all of this on when I bring it to them for my first service. What do they do on that service? Is it a BS chargefest for something I can do myself? Thanks in advance.
It is a 2007 - what parts are you breaking in? Break in today means running slow because the fools that built your bike did not tighten the bolts correctly and you have a chance to live at those speeds. :D. So something goes wrong, put your old shiet back on and they will never know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grassy Ass !!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now I now why they call them "Dumbstomer" Here you are riding an incredibly complex machine and your going to do the first service yourself and then still winge when the dealer says you warranty is void. Dumbass go buy a Honda.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Storm Trooper said:
Grassy Ass !!!!

That is exacty what you wanted to hear ins't it?

One guy posts his opinion and you are set.

18k$ motorcycle and you are not going to follow the recomendations of the manufacturer? You should be an engineer...

·
Dominus Violatus
208 Posts
1k service

Hammer Head said:
Now I now why they call them "Dumbstomer" Here you are riding an incredibly complex machine and your going to do the first service yourself and then still winge when the dealer says you warranty is void. Dumbass go buy a Honda.
Dude, HH, Chilll........

Mods- I had the same question when I bought my 07 and quite frankly, I went the safe route and did the subtle mods first. Now that the 1K is done and she's got a clean bill of health from the people that are supposed to know, I'll be going the CFR route as well.

1k service- I took my 07 to the dealership and had them do it. There are plenty of folks in the forum who do all their work themselves and never let the dealership touch their bike. If I had the time, tools and equipment to do everything myself, I'd probably be the same way. Its different strokes for different folks.

Do what makes you feel comfortable and keep the shiny side up.

K2

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I'm gonna plead the 5th on this one,but do a SEARCH on Break in procedure!
Good Luck and have fun:kaz:

P.S :vrodforu:

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
K2D said:
Dude, HH, Chilll........
Geeze guys, I'm with K2D... lighten up. He's only asking a question.... remember we were all new to this bike and this board at one time.

Storm Trooper,

This is what I did. Put about 500-600 miles on it and then had the dealership install the Rineharts, air filter, etc. They did a great job with the Race Tuner (aka, SERT... Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner) on a in-house dyno tuned by someone that knew what they were doing.

It's your bike, do what you want.... except the buy a Honda part.... :D

HoldHard

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hammer Head said:

This forum should be a safe haven to ask any questions without being flamed. Not everybody has the tools or know how and will never know unless they ask. We all had to start somewhere.

·
Nate
3,277 Posts
Hammer Head said:
Nice first post. :spank: :vrodforu: Personally, I waited until after "Break In" before I did exhaust mods and the switch to AMSoil.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
HH, thanks for sharing. This is the best forum on the net because you can ask anything you want and not be criticized. Let's keep it that way.
Break the thing in. Stock. Work out any bugs it might have. Hopefully, none. 1K is nothing. Get to know the machine, make it fit you, and then mod away. I had a brake line leak, the clunk, a defective footpeg spring, missing heatshield bolts. The bike is great, but it is put together by humans. Things happen. Use the first K to shake it down. JMHO, Joe

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Hammer Head said:
What a way to introduce yourself...

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
HammerHead is right - we are all idiots and dumbasses - especially those of us who do our own work. What the hell was I thinking?

·
chris top her
2,779 Posts
Hammer Head said:

man, i should have had one of the slack jaws at my local dealer do my mods, huh? yeah right!!! maybe if i was riding an under engineered hunk of shit softtail classic. if i did own one of those POS bikes and i worked on it, it would have probably turned out 10 times better than HD ever thought possible and they would have copied my ideas for their next model.

i installed my own pipes and racetuner before my bike had 400 miles. by the time i had 1400 miles, i tore it down and installed a 1250 kit myself and put new pipes on it again to change the sound. it has never burnt any oil and it has never leaked either. is my warranty void, probably, but i have yet to meet any HD employee that i would let touch my bike, let alone, work on it. give your bike 50 miles with a lot of engine braking and slow rolls on the throttle....then figure out the direction you want to go with it and start your plan of attack. just make sure you have fun with it!

·
Registered
519 Posts
cmashark said:
i have yet to meet any HD employee that i would let touch my bike, let alone, work on it.
:them:

·
chris top her
2,779 Posts
Hammer Head said:

not to mention knuckle head, if the dealership voids your warranty because you did your own first service, they have to prove that the issue was your fault...and if that is their policy then, they have to provide that service for free...just like oil, if they say that you can only use their oil, they have to provide it.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
BReak in is BS

Just rev it up, dump the clutch and bounce it off the rev limiter for a couple of hundred feet. These bikes can take a beating. Seriously though, just ride it like you normally would plan on riding it. All this BS I hear about not going above certain RPMS is just crazy. As Ray ( vrodcustoms ) when he test drives a bike on the plant if he ever brings it above 3K???:soapbox:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts