Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to the forum, was looking for a little advice.

I found a dealer with a brand new 2k6 street rod left over. He accepted my 11k out the door offer, was wondering if that was a good price or should i look around for a slightly used one. Also, I wanted to hear how the vrscr did on distance rides (~300 mi/day) in comparison to the night rod special (really the only other bike im interested in), and what recommendations people had for fitting the vrscr in gearing it for distance riding.

Im 6'2, 250, if that helps any. Looking forward to getting on a new Vrod!

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
the r has mid controls like a sport bike and you could change to forward, extended controls and lower it and put a seat and bags on it for a whole hell of a lot less than 7 or 8 thousand dollars being 17k or 18k for a new one. it prolly got a warranty, i'd do it.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
you can do better, I got 12 out the door 3 yrs ago.... Obviously it is not going anywhere....

get a corbin, get the d bars, if you have $ get some Works shocks and ride....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help, makes me wish i shoulda posted this before i offered...:slap:

The dealer said HD wont offer the warranty, but b/c of the vrod track record in his shop, he would give me the warranty offered in 2k5. anyone know what that was?

I like the mid controls, but i was thinking about adding highway pegs...is it better for a engine-guard mount or frame mount?

Oh, in the price I also got a sundowner seat for driver and passenger and a passenger touring backrest.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
tell em, no extended warranty, no sale and be prepared to walk if they let u go,which i doubt , i bet u get a phone call in hours ,u are allowed to change ur mind on a deal ,they do, it in my opinion

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Considering it's age I'd say less than 10k, 11k is not a bad deal, but then I'm a cheap sob.
We are about the same size and I bought the R since the NR is too cramped. Make sure the recalls are done, the steering head nut should be checked and there is the heat shield issue. Make sure you check the grounds on the top of the cylinder head, they come lose and leave you stranded. You will find if you put to much weight on your wrists, lean to far forward, you will be uncomfortable after an hour or so. The stock tires will let you know real fast when they are done, mine lasted 6k miles. Now that I put new rubber on I realize how bad the stock Dunlops suck. Now that I have sorted out these things I love mine. Enjoy and be prepared for "R bashing":D

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Street rod is a great machine, but a 4 year plus left over and no Harley warranty for 11K. seems high. Wait till monday and call Harley to find out what the deal is on left overs warranty cover. It is new old stock!

Check on ebay there is a very clean 2006 in orange for $7000 buy it now.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
$11k for a five year old discontinued model is $3k too high IMHO. And the extended warranty should be a deal breaker.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
Hello,

New to the forum, was looking for a little advice.

.. a brand new 2k6 street rod left over. He accepted my 11k out the door offer, was wondering if that was a good price or should i look around for a slightly used one. Also, I wanted to hear how the vrscr did on distance rides (~300 mi/day) in comparison to the night rod special (really the only other bike im interested in) ..

Im 6'2, 250, if that helps any. Looking forward to getting on a new Vrod!
Sounds expensive to me .. I bought a new '07, over a year ago, with a 5 year extended warranty for quite a bit less than that, and that is in California.

Advice .. be patient and negotiate, I've not kept up with prices but I'm thinking less than $9k probably closer to $8k, for an almost 5 year old bike.

As far as comfort .. buy what either fits you or can be easily made to fit; it makes no sense to me to pay a premium for an uncomfortable motorcycle.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
I am in agreement with the rest of these guys. The price seems to be about 3K too much and if there is no warranty with it then tell them forget it.
The R is a great model but for the age of this one sitting around at a dealer I would not pay anything more than MAYBE 9500 for it and they would have to GIVE me a warranty or it would be no deal.
You know that they are really hoping for you to buy this bike to get it out of the inventory and they also want to take all your money at the same time.
Go into the dealer and tell them you did some research and 9500 is your top dollar and you want it with the full brand new bike warranty or no deal, I bet they will start dealing with ya.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
The dealer isn't into that bike for more than $6,500 tops. Beat the shit out of them on $ and the minute they are willing to let you walk out the door is when they are at the bottom$ they will work with.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
PS - You really want an R, so be persistent. It's a fabulous bike. It has sat that long, so don't be in a hurry, make them sell it. I think they will.
Btw, the Sundowner is a good seat. I ride my R from California to Utah for World Superbike comfortably. Install a windshield (I use the Supersport Windshield from the VRSCA with upper mounting arms from what's called the "Compct Mid Sport Windshield) and the Sport Saddlebags, and a luggage rack on the Baseplate and go chase horizons.
Works Performance shocks are excellent, and for tires use Avon radials. Then just enjoy it.
PS, welcome to the fold.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
the fold, by definition, is a the group of people that you belong to and share the same beliefs and ideas. With this 'group' it is a pretty loose fold :)

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
What did he mean by "the VRod track record"?....He's never collected any $ working on them? Either they're under warranty or they're so reliable they never come into the shop after they're out of warranty

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
$11K is high compared to used prices...but maybe not so bad if you get a warranty and age replaced items such as tires, battery, fresh oil change with synthetic or 1st service thrown in.

How many miles on it? No telling how many cold starts with no warm up time. I'd try to get an intake cleaning as well.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Almost every dealership has these R models clogging up their warehouses etc... so if you want this thing for some reason than move on somewhere else. Dont pay over $5k for that thing. And if you have Never riden one make sure you do before you make up your mind, it Aint no VROD

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
Echoing what others have stated:

"The single most powerful tool for wining a negotiation is the ability to walk away from the table without a deal." -Harvey Mackay

1 - 20 of 42 Posts