Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks..
Yesterday my son and I did a major service on The B..wanted to replace front/rear pads and flush the system on them and the clutch..It's never been done in the fifteen years I've owned The B :rolleyes: I had gotten pad's on fleabay and was of course sent the wrong ones! The front brakes still have "meat" and rotors are fine,unfortunately the rear are toast and the rotor needs resurfacing. I was planning on replacing the pads and at seasons end machine the rotor. No one i've talked to will do it. Since they are "floating" I found a guy on my Norton forum who specializes in resurfacing these types and has a five star rating and would charge $50 plus shipping/handling so I might go that route. HD wants $140 for a new rotor but mine look to have plenty of material left. Origional rotor that has never been turned. ( anyone know the required thickness/minimum on these?)
When we serviced the clutch (drained the juice) we found the cylinder/fluid to be gross! Wasn't even purple anymore and had pieces of shkegg in it..I need to service this a little more often I guess :oops: However when we went to bleed the whole system ( took FOREVER even using a bleeding pump) For some reason starting the bike for just a couple minutes brought back the proper pressure/brake resistance :unsure: Any idea why? I always thought the clutch is like the brakes,just pump and bleed.
At any rate the clutch works much better...no more "clunk" when shifting from neutral to first and the front brake is like new..not using the back one unless it's an emergency lol. Will spend the bux tomorrow and get proper pads from the Stealer and see what the knuckleheads on fleabay tell me.

Thanks,

'Crewzr

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hi folks..
Yesterday my son and I did a major service on The B..wanted to replace front/rear pads and flush the system on them and the clutch..It's never been done in the fifteen years I've owned The B :rolleyes: I had gotten pad's on fleabay and was of course sent the wrong ones! The front brakes still have "meat" and rotors are fine,unfortunately the rear are toast and the rotor needs resurfacing. I was planning on replacing the pads and at seasons end machine the rotor. No one i've talked to will do it. Since they are "floating" I found a guy on my Norton forum who specializes in resurfacing these types and has a five star rating and would charge $50 plus shipping/handling so I might go that route. HD wants $140 for a new rotor but mine look to have plenty of material left. Origional rotor that has never been turned. ( anyone know the required thickness/minimum on these?)
When we serviced the clutch (drained the juice) we found the cylinder/fluid to be gross! Wasn't even purple anymore and had pieces of shkegg in it..I need to service this a little more often I guess :oops: However when we went to bleed the whole system ( took FOREVER even using a bleeding pump) For some reason starting the bike for just a couple minutes brought back the proper pressure/brake resistance :unsure: Any idea why? I always thought the clutch is like the brakes,just pump and bleed.
At any rate the clutch works much better...no more "clunk" when shifting from neutral to first and the front brake is like new..not using the back one unless it's an emergency lol. Will spend the bux tomorrow and get proper pads from the Stealer and see what the knuckleheads on fleabay tell me.

Thanks,

'Crewzr
The min thickness for the brake disc is stamped on the disc.
It probably wasn't related to starting the engine, was more likely that little standing period letting an air bubble rise to the top in the master cyl and escaping into the reservoir.

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The min thickness for the brake disc is stamped on the disc.
It probably wasn't related to starting the engine, was more likely that little standing period letting an air bubble rise to the top in the master cyl and escaping into the reservoir.

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dunno..we tried for thirty minutes to bleed that thing and even took an "adult beverage" break..but thirty seconds later after running the engine all is good :unsure: Thanks for the reply.

'Crewzr

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I dunno..we tried for thirty minutes to bleed that thing and even took an "adult beverage" break..but thirty seconds later after running the engine all is good :unsure: Thanks for the reply.

'Crewzr
Ah! Thats it!! It was the "adult beverage" that fixed it. 🤣

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Geez I got a set ( two front one rear) of pads off a guy from fleabay,cost me $34.95..I didn't try to install them until this past weekend and of course they are totally the wrong ones and coz I got them over a year ago the guy won't take them back and ship the proper ones :confused: So I called the Stealer and they had them for $54.99...ok more than fleabay but what do you expect from H-D? So I go get them and was told $168.00! I said WTF you quoted me $54! " Ohhh" he said..."thats for ONE set...you need THREE!" I told him to shove it I'll look online. He said "oh we have aftermarket ( Drag Specialties) for $27 each but only have one set" I only need to replace the rear immediately as the front are still useable for the rest of the season,then I'll either buy a new rotor or send this one out to be ground.

'Crewzr

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Geez I got a set ( two front one rear) of pads off a guy from fleabay,cost me $34.95..I didn't try to install them until this past weekend and of course they are totally the wrong ones and coz I got them over a year ago the guy won't take them back and ship the proper ones :confused: So I called the Stealer and they had them for $54.99...ok more than fleabay but what do you expect from H-D? So I go get them and was told $168.00! I said WTF you quoted me $54! " Ohhh" he said..."thats for ONE set...you need THREE!" I told him to shove it I'll look online. He said "oh we have aftermarket ( Drag Specialties) for $27 each but only have one set" I only need to replace the rear immediately as the front are still useable for the rest of the season,then I'll either buy a new rotor or send this one out to be ground.

'Crewzr
Welcome to the wonderful world of HD!! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

1 - 7 of 7 Posts