Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this website link here on the forum and read the excellent tech article about brake rotor "warpage". I've ben a wrench forever,everything from jet engines to junk and like everyone else,assumed the rotors were warped when the dreaded pulsing/vibes occurred-very common on H-D's and Vrods especially.http://www.stoptech.com/

I learned a lot from reading this! My '06 R had the rotors replaced by the previous owner. I got the bike at 6300 mi. and about 4000 mi. later the front brakes had developed an annoying chatter/pulse/vibe. I figured they were outta spec ("warped") and was ready to chuck some dough to fix it. I have repalced a zillion M/C rotors for the same reason.

I did what Stoptech suggested-hit the rotors hard with 220 garnet today during a front tire replacement. I re-bedded per the article and WOW! my brakes are awesome again, smooth and powerful with great modulation and no shimmy. It's a lenghty read but sheds incredible information on brakes and dispells widely accepted misinformation. Whoever originally posted the link, THANKS!

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
I found this website link here on the forum and read the excellent tech article about brake rotor "warpage". I've ben a wrench forever,everything from jet engines to junk and like everyone else,assumed the rotors were warped when the dreaded pulsing/vibes occurred-very common on H-D's and Vrods especially.http://www.stoptech.com/

I learned a lot from reading this! My '06 R had the rotors replaced by the previous owner. I got the bike at 6300 mi. and about 4000 mi. later the front brakes had developed an annoying chatter/pulse/vibe. I figured they were outta spec ("warped") and was ready to chuck some dough to fix it. I have repalced a zillion M/C rotors for the same reason.

I did what Stoptech suggested-hit the rotors hard with 220 garnet today during a front tire replacement. I re-bedded per the article and WOW! my brakes are awesome again, smooth and powerful with great modulation and no shimmy. It's a lenghty read but sheds incredible information on brakes and dispells widely accepted misinformation. Whoever originally posted the link, THANKS!
You're welcome.

·
Registered
821 Posts

Where do you find 220 garnet?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Great article Old FXR. Thanks.

Sandro at Galfer USA (President of the US division and grandson of the founder, Galfer is a Spanish company) also recommends wet sanding the pads to remove the glaze from them when sanding rotors. By the way, never use brake clean. Always use detergent and water to clean brake parts or to wash the rotors and pads after sanding them then rinse with fresh water. That too is straight from Sandro. He patiently dug me out of a brake problem a couple of years ago.

·
COLEROD
334 Posts
link

When clicking on link it pops up home page, but I cant find the article about sanding the rotors. What's up?

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
great thanks for this artical

1 - 9 of 9 Posts