Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran through all the posts about brake light failures andfind nothing like my situation. I have a 2003 VSRCA. I normally check my brake light as I leave the garage. The brake light works every morning (front and bake) when I first start out. After a few minutes of riding I discovered that the brake light stops working, neither front or bake brake application lights the brake light. I just checked wiring and cannot find anything apparent. I turned the ignition on - and verified that the brake light worked, it did. I started the bike and ran it for 5 minutes. The brake light stopped working. When I turn the engine off and then turn the ignition back on quickly the brake light is sporadic. When I let the engine cool for a couple of minutes and then turn the ignition back on the brake light works again. If I start the engine the brake light stops working within a minute, because the engine is warm already. Anyone have any idea how the engine temperature is stopping the brake light from working?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I ran through all the posts about brake light failures andfind nothing like my situation. I have a 2003 VSRCA. I normally check my brake light as I leave the garage. The brake light works every morning (front and bake) when I first start out. After a few minutes of riding I discovered that the brake light stops working, neither front or bake brake application lights the brake light. I just checked wiring and cannot find anything apparent. I turned the ignition on - and verified that the brake light worked, it did. I started the bike and ran it for 5 minutes. The brake light stopped working. When I turn the engine off and then turn the ignition back on quickly the brake light is sporadic. When I let the engine cool for a couple of minutes and then turn the ignition back on the brake light works again. If I start the engine the brake light stops working within a minute, because the engine is warm already. Anyone have any idea how the engine temperature is stopping the brake light from working?
Brake light switch and cables are close to the exhaust and radiator. Maybe the heat is influencing a bad connection or cable and when it expands breaks connection.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
When either brake switch is activated a connection is made from an O/W (orange with white stripe) wire (powered by the ACCY fuse) to the R/Y (red with yellow stripe) wire that goes to the stop lamp (via pin 3 of the tail/stop lamp connector).

Your intermittent problem is not likely a problem with O/W wire but this can be tested by trying the horn when the stop lamp isn't working. If the horn sounds, the O/W wire is fine.

The common connections that could cause the stop lamp not to work include the stop lamp itself (due to a bad bulb or bad socket), a bad connection at pin 3 of the tail/stop lamp connector (the R/Y wire), or a bad connection for the tail lamp ground (from pin 4 of the tail/stop lamp connector to ground point 2 (on cam cover). I would first check the cam cover grounds.

It's not likely the rear brake switch (the one near the exhaust) since the stop lamp isn't working even when the front brake switch is used.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks coastrider and stever975. Ultimately it turned out to be a short in the taillight itself. I am not sure how the engine warm-up caused the problem but when I fixed the short the problem appears to have gone away. Maybe it was just the vibration from the motor running. Strange thing is before I made the repair, even when I tried to make the short happen (both cold and hot engine) the problem did not change. Will continue to keep an eye on the brake light. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.