Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, am I screwed?

I'm in the process of replacing the throttle cables and control housings. I tried to be careful with the brake switch in the housing, but the rubber boot tore (or was torn). The switch is ok. and the tear is more towards the base. Bad?

Also, there's a copper rectangle, almost a flat v-shape. Anyone know where that goes?

It's been a rough night :) Should have just let things be and not worked on the bike after work!

Thanks.

Steve

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya. Should have waited until I got the manual from home.

Though, reading over it last night, there isn't much on the control housing's themselves. The housing was pulled straight back, so I don't think I tore the boot there. It may have caught a sharp edge in the housing as I removed the harness and switch. I was pushing on the switch from the outside though to try and minimize that.

It's entirely possible that it was torn to begin with. The tear is at the base of the boot.

And I did manage to find out where that copper piece goes. The manual didn't cover it, but in one of the pics from the housing install instructions, I can see it sitting to the side of the brake switch. Guess it keep the switch from moving around.

Thanks.

Steve

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
The manual states you should place a piece of folded cardboard holding the lever in its retracted position when removing the lever assembly. This prevent tearing and damaging the brake switch when reinstalling the lever assembly. Done it both ways. the cardboard method makes re-installation of the assembly real easy and you end up with a good switch.
The copper spring is indeed there to hold the switch in place. There is a right and wrong way to install it. DOn't remember the details but it can be installed backward.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Ok, am I screwed?

I'm in the process of replacing the throttle cables and control housings. I tried to be careful with the brake switch in the housing, but the rubber boot tore (or was torn). The switch is ok. and the tear is more towards the base. Bad?

Steve
not really. I had the same experience. i carefully put super glue to seal the tear. since the switch is still working fine, the idea is to prevent water to get in. i went to Sturgis and back, got caught in rains, and the switch is still working fine until now. YMMV

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thanks for that idea!

I don't think the boot tore when I separated the housings, but when I tried to remove it out of the housing, so the cardboard wedge wouldn't have helped here.

I'll take that housing apart when I get the levers and seal up that boot.

And I'll make sure to wedge the brake lever first, just in case. ;)

Thanks for the help!

Steve

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Cool, thanks for that idea!

I don't think the boot tore when I separated the housings, but when I tried to remove it out of the housing, so the cardboard wedge wouldn't have helped here.

I'll take that housing apart when I get the levers and seal up that boot.

And I'll make sure to wedge the brake lever first, just in case. ;)

Thanks for the help!

Steve
Actually the cardboard wedge is an aid when re-installing the lever assembly on to the housing. It prevents the lever from banging up against the switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts