Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Do you get brake noise from your rear brake, almost a howl?

• Yes I get brake noise often.

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Yes I get noise every now and then.

Votes: 32 21.1%
  • No rear brake noise that I have heard.

Votes: 65 42.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you get brake noise from your rear brake, almost a howl from time to time?

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Back is okay, the front is terrible. Particularly when I'm just rolling the bike (either backwards or forwards) there is a terrible high pitched squeeking noise. My stealer said it was because I went to an aftermarket rotor and therefore suggest I went with a softer pad. I did this but the problem still exists. Any of you experience this? If so, what did you do to get rid of it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Brake Noise

I Get A Constant Noise From The Front And Am Now Hearing The Howl From The Back. Took It To The Stealer Several Times And They Keep Saying The Front Is Normal And, Oh, Of Coarse "cant Hear Anything From The Back". Its Very Anoying, Hopefully One Of The Forum Experts Will Be Able To Help.

·
skin changer
824 Posts
no front noise...just started getting a back noise a few days ago..on long trips it gets loud...short trips not to bad.
The noise just started this week and is very loud on long trips over 40 miles or so.
I just installed a 28T the other week and I thought that may have something to do with it since the noice only started after the sprocket install. When I had the 30T there was no noise at all.

Max, since you started this poll, do you have a fix?

I haven't gone to the dealer yet because I have new wheels coming in a week or 2 so I was going to have the howl checked when I swapped out rims.

·
skin changer
824 Posts
my howling is not coming from the rear brake...mines coming from the left rear of the bike and I can't find out exactly why. I can see nothing wrong but I have not torn anything apart.

Anyone have any ideas as to where to start?

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
My guess is it's your belt. When I had my pulley replaced it wasn't lined up correctly the first time and resulted in my belt squeeking and howling.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm getting a noise from the left rear also, I thought it was a bearing. I'll check my belt, but I have not changed pullies or done anthing else to the rear of the bike. It's a metallic squeal (not a howling wolf) that shows up only on longer runs when it gets hot. (5500 miles)

Steve

·
skin changer
824 Posts
sicv-rod said:
I'm getting a noise from the left rear also, I thought it was a bearing. I'll check my belt, but I have not changed pullies or done anthing else to the rear of the bike. It's a metallic squeal (not a howling wolf) that shows up only on longer runs when it gets hot. (5500 miles)

Steve
Steve,
Your describing my problem to the T. If you find it, please let me know. I'm not taking my bike to the dealer till my new wheels come in a week or two and then I was going to have him check it since the wheels have to get taken off anyway.
Let me know what you find--I have the same amount of miles on my bike (6000) and it just started out of the clear blue last week. Actually quite noisey on 40 mile or longer trips. If I find anything--I'll let you know also.
Thanks

·
EXCELSIOR
8,378 Posts
Only notice it on occasion when I'm riding the rear by itself, which is not very often. Just a mild, low volume, high pitch hum or whine.
Mostly use the front and was surprised initially to notice the "tick, tick, tick" of the hole/past pad noise resonating through the front fender till I realized what it was.
The bike has many unique sounds that I've come accustomed to.
As Prof. Higgins said "I've grown accustomed to her face, she helps to make the day begin" and so on.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts