Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Red in TN
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brake light seems to stay on all the time. I have checked the relay switch located near the exhaust:
1. With both plugs in---I get no brake light from front lever nor pedal.
2. One plug in --- front lever activates brake light just fine.
3. Pedal will not activate brake light at all.

:banghead:

·
boo
5,211 Posts
what type of bike do you have? rear brake switch is pretty much a known issue. several folks have had to replace it. there's a heavy duty switch made by accel that may work better than the HD one.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
not sure if the brake switch failure is common on those, but it would stand to reason, i think those parts haven't changed. someone more knowledgeable than i will chime in, i'm sure

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
your rear brake switch needs replaced..
ACCEL 181101 is the upgrade aftermarket part. Should be able to pick up from any auto parts store or online for less than 15 bucks

·
EXCELSIOR
8,388 Posts
Sounds like you have two distinct problems and have taken steps to attempt to trouble shoot and discovered the bad rear brake pressure switch.
That however should not be the cause for the brake lamp to be on all the time.
It is odd that when both plugs are disconnected, or any single plug is disconnected that the lamp should be out, but when both are reconnected that the lamp should be on all the time.
Sounds like a short of some type.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Sounds like you have two distinct problems and have taken steps to attempt to trouble shoot and discovered the bad rear brake pressure switch.
It is odd that when both plugs are disconnected, or any single plug is disconnected that the lamp should be out, but when both are reconnected that the lamp should be on all the time.
mine was shorting out because the wires frayed near the connection and touched the exhaust and that made the rear lamp stay on. It also helped blow the switch so I changed that too.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
and my switch failed in the brakes "ON" position after being parked next to Lux's Aidsy while we had wings.
simple test..... if you unplug the rear pedal from the brake switch and the brake light stays off until you trigger the front brake, then voila! you found it.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
This is the symptom when the brake switch is shorted. Replace the rear brake switch to cure. Be careful not to bend the lines going to the manifold or you will be replacing the entire brake line system. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Hang on everyone. This has happened to me a couple of times and all that was wrong was an internal short in the bulb. Change the tail light bulb before doing anything expensive. If that doesn't cure the problem, then look for something deeper.

·
Noel
4,585 Posts
I'll second Philthy observation, I've had both situations occur (not at the same time), the last was the cross shorted bulb filament, prior to that the rear brake pressure switch had an internal short.

·
Red in TN
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A couple more twists to the story. I already tried changing bulbs because I had put a LED tail light bulb in without making any mods (relay, modulator, etc). Could that be related to the problem. Can I do that (put a led bulb in without making any other changes)? Also, a couple of weeks ago, I had to take my bike to the stealership because the pipes had slipped out of each other up near the forward controls. There was a one inch gap between them and the stealership had to slip them back together and said that they had already come loose from a bracket towards the rear. Did they goof during that repair and cause the brake switch to go bad? What's a girl to do, lol.

·
Noel
4,585 Posts
Did they goof during that repair and cause the brake switch to go bad? What's a girl to do, lol.
I'd bring it back to them to check this out, the loose pipes & repair there of might be related.

The LED lamp should not have caused any problems with RUN/STOP lamp, the turn signals is another story.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts