Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Woverby
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake light is stuck "on". I looked at my electrical manual and see that the brake light is powered by "pressure switches" at the front and rear brakes. The switch closes (presumeably when the brake lever is activated), and 12V power is applied to the light bulb through diodes from either the front or rear switch.

Based on this information, I do not believe there is a short or open in the wiring prior to the rear bulb. An open would result in no brake light, and a short to ground would result in a blown fuse. One side of the brake light filament is always grounded.

I have no diagnostic codes, I checked last night. According the the manual, the ECM will report always "on" or always "off" brake light.

So, this seems to only leave the pressure switches? I did lube my throttle handle this weekend as part of the 10K mile service. Don't know if this is related to the problem.

Any thoughts? I do not see any adjustments for the "pressure switches"? I see from the manual that there is a plug behind the right cover where I can measure voltage to see if it is the front or rear lever. Don't have a voltmeter with me (out of town), so can't do that until this weekend.

·
Registered
284 Posts
try messing with the switch up front in the handle .i beleive that is stuck on. i had the same problem and had to shimy the front switch.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Did you take the hand control apart on the right side? If so there is a little wedge that belongs behind the front brake switch holding it in place. This has been a problem point for many who have disturbed the throttle grip assembly and not noticed it fall out.

·
Woverby
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I did take the throttle grip assembly apart to lubricate it. Hmmm, when I get home I will look around the garage. I will also take a look at my manual. Thanks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
+1 For the same issue. I've traced it to the from brake lever too and I also have had the throttle/brake assemb. off the bars a few times. I haven't had time to really look into it though.

·
1130cc.com PITFA
2,883 Posts
I just put a small square piece of duct tape on the brake lever. Quick easy fix and it'll never fall out.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
rear brake switch has failed on a lot of these bikes, plenty written here on it.

·
Noel
4,585 Posts
Always on is more commonly caused by mal-alignment of the right switch housing & lever, either they are not close enough, or you damaged the nib covering the micro-switch.

In my experience, the failed rear pressure switch resulted in always OFF condition.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
When you removed the front brake lever did you remember to insert a piece of cardboard so the brake lever is held in the pulled position? If you didn't then when you reassembled the control you probably damaged the brake light switch.

·
Woverby
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My brake light is stuck "on". I looked at my electrical manual and see that the brake light is powered by "pressure switches" at the front and rear brakes. The switch closes (presumeably when the brake lever is activated), and 12V power is applied to the light bulb through diodes from either the front or rear switch.

Based on this information, I do not believe there is a short or open in the wiring prior to the rear bulb. An open would result in no brake light, and a short to ground would result in a blown fuse. One side of the brake light filament is always grounded.

I have no diagnostic codes, I checked last night. According the the manual, the ECM will report always "on" or always "off" brake light.

So, this seems to only leave the pressure switches? I did lube my throttle handle this weekend as part of the 10K mile service. Don't know if this is related to the problem.

Any thoughts? I do not see any adjustments for the "pressure switches"? I see from the manual that there is a plug behind the right cover where I can measure voltage to see if it is the front or rear lever. Don't have a voltmeter with me (out of town), so can't do that until this weekend.
So, I diagnosed the problem after reading the post from MYVRODROCKS at http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142762 . One of the posts has a nice JPEG of view of the front brake and throttle assembly. #5 in the drawing is a spring metal piece that resides between the brake lever and the switch. It can fall out if you are not aware of it. That is apparently what happened to me when I removed the throttle to lubricate the grip and cables.

Reading other posts referenced by MYVRODROCKS, someone has placed duct tape on the end of the brake lever with the same problem. I used 5 small strips of Gorilla tape, hoping it will last long enough for the back order of this part from the dealer. The amazing thing is that the part only costs $0.69 at the dealer. I believe that has to be one of the cheapest things you could ever buy at the parts counter? I ordered two to have a spare.

The gorilla tape is working, so I have a regular brake light again for now.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Lucky the switch wasn't broken. It is a bitch to replace. Remember to insert a piece of cardboard to hold the brake lever open so as to avoid problems when reassembling the control.

·
Woverby
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John,

John,

I think I am missing something with the assembly. I have the spring now, which is the good news. However, I do not see anything that holds this spring in place. I have the switch in its housing with the rubber covering the switch. I then have the flat area of the brake lever area. I do not see anything that will hold this spring metal in place?

-Wayne

·
Noel
4,585 Posts
The spring aka clip 71509-00 should be inserted between the back of the electric switch 71590-96, it bucks up against a slot INSIDE the lower Switch Housing.

·
Woverby
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the information. So, when I looked in my lower switch housing I found the original spring metal. However, it was smashed flat, so not working I removed the flattened spring, added the new one, and back to having a brake light.

I see that the rubber sealing the brake light switch from the elements is tearing, so I suspect this happened when I damaged the spring. Always something!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
John,

John,

I think I am missing something with the assembly. I have the spring now, which is the good news. However, I do not see anything that holds this spring in place. I have the switch in its housing with the rubber covering the switch. I then have the flat area of the brake lever area. I do not see anything that will hold this spring metal in place?

-Wayne
Take a close look at the Picture in post # 3 of This Thread. It's item #5. The clip goes between the switch and the control housing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts