Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am frustrated with a problem. Rear brake light wont come on when stepping on the rear brake. It will come on when the front brake is pulled. I pulled the wires off the rear brake switch and when I cross the wires the brake comes on. I ran an ohm meter on the switch terminals and when pressing on the brake it gives me a good contact. So it seems the brake switch works and the two wires are ok but when connecting the wires back on the brake switch, the light won't work. Any suggestions?

The only thing I can possibly think of is maybe a weak contact with the brake switch or the switch is grounding somehow but if that was the case the ohm meter would show a connection without the brake being pushed on.

:hmm:

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
I'd rather Switch than fight!

Manhorse:
Your trouble-shooting proceedure sounds good; but....I bet it is actually the switch connections. When you put the tips of the OHM meter into the switch, it is probably getting a good contact (at the bottom of the plug in).
But when you put the wires into the plug-ins there is no continuity. I bet it is the switch, but I could be wrong. :hmm: good luck redrazor

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
Mike, Did you figure it out yet? MY girls visit their mom on Wed. nights, I'm pretty good at electrical............if you want I'll take a looksie!!
Call me if interested........................Eric

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya you wanna come over tomorrow. You don't live too far from me. I will call ya on the cell. I dont get off work till 6ish.

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
Well for a fellow vrodder I guess so..............just kidding Give me a call tommorrow bro

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well since a new brake light switch was under $20 I decided just to chance that was it. And it was. Good call redrazor. Thanks Eric for offering to come over to analize the problem. You did miss out on some brewskis though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts