Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 VRSCA after riding today I noticed the front brake returning slowly causing the brake light to momentarily flicker. Could this be caused by cool weather (23 deg.)? What needs to be done to fix this?

·
Premium Member
11,213 Posts
I would clean out the brake cable. Probably gunked up. Gunk is coagulating. Also clean out the brake lever housing etc.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have a 2003 VRSCA after riding today I noticed the front brake returning slowly causing the brake light to momentarily flicker. Could this be caused by cool weather (23 deg.)? What needs to be done to fix this?
Make sure it's not just the lever pivot gone dry and sticky. Squirt a bit of WD40 or similar in there and work the lever a few times.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Sorry Rusty the 2003 has a brake hose so cable cleaning will do no good lol

·
Registered
134 Posts
I dont know for sure but 23 degrees has got to have a ridiculously low wind chill temp.
I would get it in the garage, let it warm up and try again. Sounds like the brake pistons are sticking either from the cold or just full of gunk. I'd remove em from the fork and spray them down with brake cleaner if they
Aren't just stuck from frozen weather... Is your brake fluid fresh and at the correct level?

·
Premium Member
11,213 Posts
Sorry Rusty the 2003 has a brake hose so cable cleaning will do no good lol
Oops. Your right. MUst have been thinking of my Road King.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont know for sure but 23 degrees has got to have a ridiculously low wind chill temp.
I would get it in the garage, let it warm up and try again. Sounds like the brake pistons are sticking either from the cold or just full of gunk. I'd remove em from the fork and spray them down with brake cleaner if they
Aren't just stuck from frozen weather... Is your brake fluid fresh and at the correct level?
I replaced the brake fluid and lubed the handle. It’s still not returning completely. I’m going to rebuild the master cylinder next. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
11,213 Posts
The spring and plunger inside the master cylinder is what pushes the lever back which closes the brake switch. Since the system is a closed system, the retracting plunger also sucks fluid from the calipers retracting the pistons.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The spring and plunger inside the master cylinder is what pushes the lever back which closes the brake switch. Since the system is a closed system, the retracting plunger also sucks fluid from the calipers retracting the pistons.
After disassembling the master cylinder, the plunger and seals were caked with a black sticky substance. I cleaned the housing and reassembled everything using the rebuild kit. It is working like new. Thanks again.

·
Registered
956 Posts
After disassembling the master cylinder, the plunger and seals were caked with a black sticky substance. I cleaned the housing and reassembled everything using the rebuild kit. It is working like new. Thanks again.
Great, glad you got it sorted. Changing the fluid every 1 or 2 years will stop that from happening again.

·
Registered
372 Posts
When he mentioned a Black sticky substance, it almost sounds like it was mixed at 1 time. I had to rebuild a buddies front calipers that he cross contaminated, he replaced the master cylinder and lines, and just brought me the calipers and kits. The caliper piston seals were like gummy and soft (black and sticky) That why I asked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts