Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone can tell me what I need to do to fix this. The brake fluid seeps out aorund the bleeder screw on the rear brake caliper after riding it. Not very much but enough to see it after every ride. Someone mentioned that I could try to replace the bleeder screw with an stock one and that might fix it. The one I have in it now is chrome as is the brake caliper and I have heard that some of the chrome bleeder screws have some issues with leaking.
Thanks in advance for any help in this matter......
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
Most likely the seat that the bleed screw goes into has been deformed just a little. It is common to do this when we tighten them down and I have done it myself to one I had. Not sure there is an easy fix you can try a new bleeder but my guess is that when you have the bleeder out that you will see a slight compression on the sealing area of the caliper itself.

A word of caution is not to overtighten them, my guess is that when we do we destort them this way. Keep us updated how you come out.
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
will white teflon tape fix the leak?
Not really IMHO. The seal isn't the threads, the bleeders come to a point and seal at the very tip of them when they make contact with the seat inside the caliper, taping the threads may make it better but my guess is that if the seat is leaking that it would still come out of the center of the bleeder itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Max said:
Not really IMHO. The seal isn't the threads, the bleeders come to a point and seal at the very tip of them when they make contact with the seat inside the caliper, taping the threads may make it better but my guess is that if the seat is leaking that it would still come out of the center of the bleeder itself.
Thanks MAX...
Looks like it only comes out where it threads into the caliper. If I remove it to put in another, will I have to bleed the brakes or can I change it out without having to do so? I might try the tape and see if that will fix it also..
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
vjam1 said:
Thanks MAX...
Looks like it only comes out where it threads into the caliper. If I remove it to put in another, will I have to bleed the brakes or can I change it out without having to do so? I might try the tape and see if that will fix it also..
You should be able to change bleeders without bleeding the brakes. Make sure to have the new bleeder ready to screw in before you pull the old one though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
As long as you don't push the brake pedal it will be fine, and if you did once you release the brake pedal you will allow air to be pulled in your caliper. As mentioned don't take too long installing the new one as gravity will pull the fluid out, and if you let the reservoir run dry you'll have to bled your rear brake. Good luck on fixing your leak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kru_zer said:
As long as you don't push the brake pedal it will be fine, and if you did once you release the brake pedal you will allow air to be pulled in your caliper. As mentioned don't take too long installing the new one as gravity will pull the fluid out, and if you let the reservoir run dry you'll have to bled your rear brake. Good luck on fixing your leak.
Thanks.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
You are most welcome. If I can be of any help to you PM me, and I will do my best. I am new to Harleys (VRODS) as my street rod is my first, but have been an auto-tech for a few years and I do my own motorcycle work. Ride Safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope not.....
Since it looks like it is just seeping out where the bleeder screws in, I hope it is as simple as changing to a new one...
Thanks
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top