Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Movin' on....
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question about a leak or exposure to brake fluid - how long would it take for paint to bubble up on the cover of the cover of a clutch reservoir after being exposed to the brake or clutch fluid? I know it's caustic, so wondering if anyone has any idea how long it takes for it to show damage. Thanks.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
I purchased a used ebay brake & clutch reservoirs. The seller shipped it to me FULL and it spilled in transit . No bubbling yet after a year . I did get a refund after complaining about that shipment .
On second note , my original paint bubbled after three years on the road . Some of that damage is weather and oxidation related .

·
redneckgearhead
267 Posts
I don't think that brake fluid is as bad as it used to be. I have seen the old stuff bubble up paint in a few minutes but that was 15 years ago. Plus IRC the dot 5 brake fluid in these bikes isn't as bad.

·
redneckgearhead
267 Posts

·
Movin' on....
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure we used dot 4 on my bike.

·
redneckgearhead
267 Posts
Good to know, thanks for the clarification.

·
Movin' on....
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not a biggie, Craig, just some paint bubbling off the clutch cover. Noticed it yesterday after I left the dealer who did the computer bleed on the brakes (for the ABS). After all the stuff I saw wrong on the bike when we worked on it (from stuff done by the dealer), I just figured it was another thing. They took the heated grips off yesterday so I think they had to move the clutch reservoir to get to the wiring which they said went through the handlebars and what accounted for the huge difference in the cost they quoted.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
Sue, Go to Chrome ones lol...

Remember us talking about how Harley changed up the gaskets on these.

If you replace them with new black ones thay should have the new gaskets.

You can evensee if you can get the new gaskets for them.

How long did it take to bleed the abs moduel?

rod

·
Movin' on....
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rod, don't really know how long it took to bleed the abs module. They said most of the time was used for taking the old heated grips off because they were wired inside the handle bars. (I need to go get a gallon of Windex, Craig :)
What's really interesting about being charged an extra $100 for the time required to remove the heated grip lines from the handle bars is that my pictures of the bike from when I brought it home brand new from Chicago HD shows the lines going directly to the grips on the outside of the bars. I was already highly skeptical that the lines were internally wired is because Chicago HD did the work, and their work, to be blunt, was half-assed at best. The handlebars look suspiciously bare compared to "before" pictures.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
I'm Confused. Why do they have to remove the grips to bleed the brakes?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
2 seperate items...

·
redneckgearhead
267 Posts
DOT 4 has been used in all HD bikes except the XL (Sportster) starting in 2006. Sportster switched to DOT 4 in 2007.
Well I was out working on the bike and I noticed my master cylinder caps call out for dot 5. So is dot 4 an update or what.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
Well I was out working on the bike and I noticed my master cylinder caps call out for dot 5. So is dot 4 an update or what.
Your 2002 uses DOT 5 fluid. The Master cylinder cap is correct. Use DOT 5. It's the newer models that use DOT 4. Your old iron uses DOT 5

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
The early V-Rod bikes, prior to Brembo brakes 2006 used DOT 5 fluid.
Yes, I'm aware of that. I have a 2002 VRSCA with aftermarket Brembo calipers (from QTM) and I'm using DOT 5 hydraulic fluid.

The switch in 2006 to DOT 4 was in anticipation of ABS. ABS requires DOT 3, 4 or 5.1 fluid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts