Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bleed and filled the bike when I got it 2 years ago. Regular DOT4
Time to do it again.
I've heard of Colored Fluids that make it EZ to see when you have flushed all the old fluid out stuff.

Also looking a Brake Pad Options -
I Did the Service Bulletin - Flanged Triple Tree nut upgrade to kill minor fork clunk. New Rotors also. I know the rotor mount points can be off a bit and cause uneven grabbing. Mines a little grabby.

I plan to clean up the brakes good, pistons especially, wet sand and clean the rotors and "set" the new pads.
Looking at these pads but they don't seem to come with and set of extra mount pins which would be nice.
https://galferusa.com/product/harley-davidson-2006-vrscd-night-rod-front-pads-fd369g1370

Just for street Riding - don't need High Boiling Point Fluid or Super Pads.
Any Recommendations are much appreciated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I used Bel-Ray DOT 4 when I did mine. It’s purplish in color so its very easy to tell when it’s completely flushed thru.

On a side note, can you tell me more about the steering stem bulletin? Do you happen to have a copy of it with the part number needed for the updated nut?

Thanks!
-John

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip on the Bel Ray DOT4.

* SERVICE BULLETIN M-1215 STEERING STEM NUT KIT-
06-08 VRSC Models with Aluminum Triple Tree Stem new flanged nut 8193
kit 45736-07

If I have it right, for 2 years the Triple Tree Stem on some models were Aluminium.
The original nut is a separate nut and Washer. The replacement is one piece.
Original did not create enough tension and the front forks could - "Clunk".
The Bearings can wear more easily. It can add to the slight grabbyness of the front brakes also.
I bought the part for $50.00 and the dealer installed for $50.00
I think there is a process of loosening the fork pinch bolts before swapping it so I left that adjustment to the pros.

I also learned that some of those models wheels were made in China and where the Rotors bolt onto the wheel can have a slight height difference and that can add to a issue with the front brakes being biting at some spots, not to bad on mine but of course
on a surface like sand or wet road could possibly cause a lock-up situation.
Happened to me before I did the rotors once at slow speed (25) on thin sand. Did not go down thankfully.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
I've been using ATE Type 200 for years in my F, previous R, and my wife's Nightster.

Not particularly hydrosopic, and a very good boiling point.

It solved (at least for me) the overbuilt on the VRSC reservoirs.

R.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the Bel Ray DOT4.

* SERVICE BULLETIN M-1215 STEERING STEM NUT KIT-
06-08 VRSC Models with Aluminum Triple Tree Stem new flanged nut 8193
kit 45736-07

If I have it right, for 2 years the Triple Tree Stem on some models were Aluminium.
The original nut is a separate nut and Washer. The replacement is one piece.
Original did not create enough tension and the front forks could - "Clunk".
The Bearings can wear more easily. It can add to the slight grabbyness of the front brakes also.
I bought the part for $50.00 and the dealer installed for $50.00
I think there is a process of loosening the fork pinch bolts before swapping it so I left that adjustment to the pros.

I also learned that some of those models wheels were made in China and where the Rotors bolt onto the wheel can have a slight height difference and that can add to a issue with the front brakes being biting at some spots, not to bad on mine but of course
on a surface like sand or wet road could possibly cause a lock-up situation.
Happened to me before I did the rotors once at slow speed (25) on thin sand. Did not go down thankfully.
Thank you for the steering stem nut information, I appreciated it!

-John

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
I've got the Galfer 369/G1370 Sintered, really like the braking action and even less dust, no squealing or droning when stopping. Don't think you can do any better on stock rotors. The R model wheels were made in Australia, not China but I don't know about other V Rod models. Don't forget the new Motul 5.1 brake fluid mixes with DOT 4, was designed for ABS. Non ABS bikes can, I believe switch to DOT 5 Silicone fluid and be done with paint stripping and moisture absorption but require a full bleeding to get all the DOT 4 and moisture out of the system.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Dot4 is Dot4. Pick a brand and run with it. Last time I just used shit that Hyundai uses because I happened to be there at the time and bought some. Belray before and something else before that.
All Dot4 and Dot5.1 need the two year flush as by then the anti corrosion additives are breaking down.
Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.