Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered from HD the Chrome Master Cylinder Cover Kit. Anyway, I took of the two screws on the cover if your sitting on the bike to the right. As I took off the cover the bike tipped over and what looked like brake fuild spilled out. None went on the bike.

Anyway, I had some Dot 4 fuild from my Suzuki road bike , so I put in which from what I understood the book says is ok. I don't have to blead the brakes now that I put the cover back on?

Now here is my other question. I opened the other cover if your sitting on the bike to the left side 2 screws again. The fluid was like a black color. My friend says that's the clutch master cylinder. Question 1: Should the clutch fluid be a black color? My friend told me that Clutch Fulid is not the same as brake dot 4 fluid? Do I have to blead that because I put the new cover on?

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
I would bleed the brakes as it is possible air entered the system when the bike went over with the cover off.

Clutch fluid uses the same DOT4, the blackened color is from the seal leaching out some of the die in them. Just looks crappy. But no harm in bleeding while you at it. Get the service manual for guidance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts