Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did the braided hose kit. I love the way they look. I thought I was one up on everybody, because the old ones came off pretty easy and it seemed like it would be a synch. But without a doubt the short line is a B&*^%. Here is what I learned, if I had to do it again:
-Air box has to come off. Easy task. Just remove the velocity stacks and the hose clamp at the rear of the air box and its off.
- Remove the clamp that bundles the two water pipes together and the one that bolts to the head cover. You need to be able to move those pipes around.
- Take off the original hoses as per instructions.
- TIP: With an xacto knife, cut the inside lip of the hoses at a 45 degree angle so they go on the fittings easier. Lube the fittings with antifreeze. The hoses went onto the black pipes pretty easy, but the engine fittings were a huge pain.
- TIP: For the rear hose, I found it best to attach it to the black pipe first and clamp it snug. The first time I got it on I didnt clamp it and it pushed way up on the black pipe as I tried to get it on the engine. Cost 20 minutes and a lot of cursing.
- TIP: Take the masking tape off the braided hose. It keeeps the braid from fraying, but it also acts like a hose clamp when your trying to get the hose on. Also, if you leave it on it will show through some of the clamps. Prepare yourself for several stainless steel wisker pricks.
- The kit comes with a decorative clamp for the rear hose. I left it off and used one of the plain stainless steel hose clamps. I was too pissed at the rear hose to have to deal with that decorative cover and in the end I like the look of it. More steel braid exposed.

I think it took me about an hour. It spilled a little less than a coke can (estimate) worth of fluid, so be ready for that.

Tools required: 5mm allen, flat head screwdriver for clamps, channel locks for getting old hoses off, xacto knife, at least one beer. Here's the result:

Attachments

·
2,552 Posts
adamsg

I changed your pic to an attached pic. It is easier to view it that way. Thank you for joining us and posting your tips.

Most Respectfully
Frank

·
Registered
214 Posts
Lookin good dude! Welcome to the group!

·
4,638 Posts
adamsg said:
I just did the braided hose kit. I love the way they look. I thought I was one up on everybody, because the old ones came off pretty easy and it seemed like it would be a synch. But without a doubt the short line is a B&*^%. Here is what I learned, if I had to do it again:
-Air box has to come off. Easy task. Just remove the velocity stacks and the hose clamp at the rear of the air box and its off.
- Remove the clamp that bundles the two water pipes together and the one that bolts to the head cover. You need to be able to move those pipes around.
- Take off the original hoses as per instructions.
- TIP: With an xacto knife, cut the inside lip of the hoses at a 45 degree angle so they go on the fittings easier. Lube the fittings with antifreeze. The hoses went onto the black pipes pretty easy, but the engine fittings were a huge pain.
- TIP: For the rear hose, I found it best to attach it to the black pipe first and clamp it snug. The first time I got it on I didnt clamp it and it pushed way up on the black pipe as I tried to get it on the engine. Cost 20 minutes and a lot of cursing.
- TIP: Take the masking tape off the braided hose. It keeeps the braid from fraying, but it also acts like a hose clamp when your trying to get the hose on. Also, if you leave it on it will show through some of the clamps. Prepare yourself for several stainless steel wisker pricks.
- The kit comes with a decorative clamp for the rear hose. I left it off and used one of the plain stainless steel hose clamps. I was too pissed at the rear hose to have to deal with that decorative cover and in the end I like the look of it. More steel braid exposed.

I think it took me about an hour. It spilled a little less than a coke can (estimate) worth of fluid, so be ready for that.

Tools required: 5mm allen, flat head screwdriver for clamps, channel locks for getting old hoses off, xacto knife, at least one beer. Here's the result:
Looks Nice...I have the crome cover..... :moped: :moped:

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Looks good adamsg!
Not sure if you're aware, but you can also get a hose clamp cover for the upper clamp on the back hose. It really finishes it off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts