Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from 400kms (250m) on the V Rod after fitting the Power Commander IIIr, tuned with factory map 027, being Vance and Hines Power Shots, K&N filter, top on I surmise.
:My bike has the V&H power Shots, K&N filter, and Top ON
Where I was getting around 50kms (31m) per quater mark on the gauge, I now get around 38 - 40km. (23.5 - 25 mile)
Bike feels strong, but there is a little black smoke on acceleration, and pipe deposits are black. Too rich???
I only run Caltex Vortex fuel (premium high RON)
Does any one have a custom map for this setup, as its a four hour trip to the nearest Dynojet dyno, and they don't give a torque print out.
Thanks for any assistance, and if you have a dyno chart to view, that would also be appreiciated.

Best wishes all.

Ken.
:cheers:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Take your Top off a see how it runs!:diablo: Sounds like thats what it wants is more Air to go with the Fuel=Power!:cool:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G'day Kaz.
I'll give it a try, but was concerned that the map may not be suitable. Although as you suggest, if it seems a bit rich etc.
I'll let you know how I go tomorrow as I know you know your fuel injection!

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Ken,

Kaz is right, with that much extra fuel you should be fine topless.

:soapbox: ON

You stumbled into the biggest problem with these "canned" maps that people think make the PCIII such a grand alternative to the Race tuner or factory flashes, they are only tuned for WOT.

I have asked the question, "how can you modify the maps in the partial throttle positions when all you do on the dyno is a WOT power pull"? to which I get the answer, "that's what DynoJet tells us to do". Or even worse, The PCIII is smart enough to extrapolate (I doubt they even know what the word means).
:soapbox: OFF

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ken, I had the same happen with me and all I have done is lean out the mid and low end by 10%. You can tune this manually by following the instructions that came with the pc3. Each time you press the button, (mid,low or high), it will reduce that area by 5 %. You first got to depress all the buttons before turning the ignition on. After removing the top, if you are still lean, then try the manual route. You can always go back to the original setting.
Derek

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input fellas.

I'll let you know how I go, as I've been held up by Sharlene wanting to go for a 10km walk along our beach in the rain this morning.
Romance after getting married is over rated!!!;)

Best wishes.

Ken.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PCIIIr map 027 and rich fuel setting

G'day mjw930, Derek and Shawn.
WOT ? = Wide Open Throttle?
I just got back from a topless ride (the bike, not me) and fuel ecconomy is still crap. I only went 50 kms though. I'm sure there was less smoke on blipping the throttle while parked though after the ride.
I'm not after top end HP or speed, 90% of my riding is open highway every day, so it seems that as discussed, the low and mid range fuel settings with this map (PC 027) are to generous fuel wise.
I'm going to do a search for dynos in Queensland and failing that, looks like a trip to Cairns to the local HD dealership and their Dynojet Dyno. I don't think its a 250 series dyno from memory, as when I had the Road King Power Commander dynoed, the printout did not contain a torque reading, which was what I was after.
Derek, what mods have you done to your bike re pipes, filter etc?
I'm toying with mucking around manually with the settings, but really don't have the patients!
I'll book it in either way and see what they come up with. I think I'll put the lid back on, as I just don't like the idea of no lid on the air box. I understand the flow dynamics as discussed by very knowledgable people on this list, but don't think it's for me.
I'll look into the modded lids as displayed in the threads.

Best wishes all.

Ken.
(Nothing is ever meant to be easy!)

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Ken,

Whoever you find make sure you tell them what you want a tune for cruising and fuel economy as well as power. It will involve some partial throttle pulls to map the AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) across different throttle positions (TP). Once they have the AFR vs. TP they should be able to find your rich spots and clean them up.

If they give you either the "deer in the headlights look" or "don't tell us our job" line then RUN, do not walk away frm them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ken, I am running topless,s/e air filter,pc3 and I modded my pipes. I installed the .020 map then leaned out the mid and low ranges by 10% (2 presses on the buttons). It really is the simplist thing to do.Hold buttons down then turn on ignition, then press low button twice and mid twice. If I recall correctly,by holding the button continuously you will richen her up.That is easily noticed by the led light.When I first ran topless, I got caught in rain (major downpour for roughly 250 miles), and thought I was going to take in a lot of water but she ran great. No worries. Try it, if you are not happy then richen her up again.
Let us know.
Cheers Derek

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PCIIIr Map

Thanks fellas.
I'll let you know how I go.

Best wishes.

Ken.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Ken, would love to know how this turns out, since I am about ready to do my mods. Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
G'day Greg, how are you?
I haven't yet played with my Power Commander, but I did add numerous small holes to the front of my airbox cover. Not a severe swish cheese, just 10 or so holes to improve air flow. I think I will remove the front of the box, as per Ketsugos mods.
I noticed yesterday, that my fuel ecconomy is close to normal (still hard to tell without another few tank fulls of experience though).
It's still blowing black on the side stand when you rev the bike though. I was going to ride in to work today, but the rain has come and I have to brief 300 people, so I had beeter be dry!
I'll let you know what happens.

Best wishes.

Ken.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PCIIIr and my map "Latest" posted on this site

Just an update on my "Latest" map for those interested.
Fuel economy is almost back to normal, ie, a bit over 200kms before needing to fill the bike.
Power is great, and no flat spots noted. Suits my riding style and I have far less black carbon in the pipes and smoke at start up.
I will eventually dyno the bike again with the modded top, but this is sufficient at present.

Best wishes everyone.

Ken.
:460:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts