Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Board!

I just purchased a Harley orange VROD today. Just before I took possession of the bike, a technichian walked me through everything I need to know about the bike. One of the things he mentioned to me was that the VROD has a pretty "clunky" front end. As I was riding home from the dealership I noticed what he was talking about. Anying larger than a moderate sized bump in the road causes a thunk in the front end. I cant tell if something is loose, or if I'm bottoming out. Is this normal? Or did I buy a bike that the dealer knew there was a problem with? I cant see how this is normal....The bike is new and had 15 miles on it.
Thanks, Brad

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
:welcome: lots to learn here

several post here ref clunking, hope you find your answer

and yes, you have a problem hide your wallet before reading all the information on this site, :broke:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bought a new '04 B model in Feb. I don't have any klunks or any other problems with the front end. Just did a 125 mile poker run today, total mileage in 10 weeks is just over 2300 miles. About 1200 of those miles is 2 up.

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
This was prevalent on '03 models because the torquing spec that HD specified was not tight enough. HD changed the spec for the '04 model year.

It is not the "fall-away" torque that is the problem. Instead the top nut torque was doubled. See the posts that Shawn outlined for the details. My '03 clunked. Dealer tried to tell me the same. A very perceptive forum members pointed out that the spec had changed. I bought my own wrench from Sears and solved the Clunk.

·
Banned
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the assistance fellas, I 'preciate it! I'll let ya know how it works out. I dont know it it makes a difference or not, but my build date is 11/03. Does anyone know if the spec was changed before or after that date?

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 04 B model with a 02/04 mfr date still had the clunk. This thread makes me believe that I need to totally trust my instincts. Without knowing this was a problem or reading the previous threads I had taken my bike into the stealer and complained about a looseness in the front forks and clunk when I braked hard, came to a stop, or ran over a bump. The service manager looked at me like I was crazy. The technician told me he tightend up the front fork bolt, I am assuming he took care of number 2 and 6 bolt, but it seemd to fix the problem. Of course I had to make a special trip back because he forgot to put the chrome cap back on top of the center bolt. It would appear that the factory or the technicans at the dealerships still arent all aware and fixing this problem from the start. So much for that bogus dealer "set up fee" the stealers all charge.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
owenwil said:
My 04 B model with a 02/04 mfr date still had the clunk. This thread makes me believe that I need to totally trust my instincts. Without knowing this was a problem or reading the previous threads I had taken my bike into the stealer and complained about a looseness in the front forks and clunk when I braked hard, came to a stop, or ran over a bump. The service manager looked at me like I was crazy. The technician told me he tightend up the front fork bolt, I am assuming he took care of number 2 and 6 bolt, but it seemd to fix the problem. Of course I had to make a special trip back because he forgot to put the chrome cap back on top of the center bolt. It would appear that the factory or the technicans at the dealerships still arent all aware and fixing this problem from the start. So much for that bogus dealer "set up fee" the stealers all charge.
owenwil,
you will find after hanging out here for awhile you will have more Specialty Knowledge about the V-rod then 99% of the Dealer Techs out there!It's Sad that More have not taken the Time to Learn more about Our Wonderful Bikes! :kaz: This Forum Really is an Amazing wealth of Knowledge and Information on Our V-rods! :plause:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Do a search on klunk and clunk!

My klunk started at 150 miles.

I solved the klunk my torqueing the nut to 65 ft-lbs after reading the posts here about the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Hi Purebrad and welcome,

Here's one more "it's not normal" for ya. Mine is a new "A" 03 and I have 650 miles on it in the last two weeks. It has never clunked. Sounds like the pro's above directed you to what should solve the problem.
It is too bad the techs at the dealers don't stay on top of these things as they should.

Good luck to you.

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Tell the tech you need the steering head bearing torqued up to spec. I had the same problem with my 03 twice. Once was my 100 mile service and the other was after the installation of my chrome triple trees.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have an 02 that used to clunk.. tightened up the nut on the steering head... beautiful.. don't worry.

You asked if you have a problem.. yes.. you do... your wallet is about to become MUCH thinner with all the things you'll want to do to that bike...Help me out guys.... sundowner seat, v mod pipes, 200 rear tire, windshield of some type... and on .. and on.. on on... good luck with your new ride

·
Banned
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE:
Called the dealership Monday morning, spoke to my salesman. He said he would talk to the technician and call back. He finally called back late on Tuesday. Told me that I misinterpreted what the tech said and that he was trying to explain something else to me. I dunno....Anyway, I'm bringing it in Saturday morning to have the problem evaluated.

I just hope they dont take the bike for a ride and come back and tell me they dont notice anything. I noticed I can replicate (what I think) is the symptom by pushing up and down on the handlebars while standing over the bike. If I push down hard enough, I get the clunk when the fork legs rebound and fully extend. I plan to display this act to dealer. Just to be preapred for them telling me that the clunk is normal when "bouncing" the front end, can some of you fellas try the same thing on your bike and make sure it not normal to get a clunk when the forks fully rebound? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
0rest 0har said:
This was prevalent on '03 models because the torquing spec that HD specified was not tight enough. HD changed the spec for the '04 model year.

It is not the "fall-away" torque that is the problem. Instead the top nut torque was doubled. See the posts that Shawn outlined for the details. My '03 clunked. Dealer tried to tell me the same. A very perceptive forum members pointed out that the spec had changed. I bought my own wrench from Sears and solved the Clunk.
Would you please post the torque specs and which fasteners?

·
Banned
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also forgot to mention that the semi-circular "Harley-Davidson" tag on the left side engine cover fell off. I was stopped at a traffic light, and I heard a "ting" by my left foot. I had to put the bike on the kick-stand, dismount, and pick it up off the ground at a busy traffic intersection. I was humiliated. Orange VROD stopped at a traffic light, ya know everyone was checking me (the bike) out. It was pretty humiliating. So far I'm not impressed. This is the kind of Harely folklore me and my jap bike buddies used to laugh about until I sold my Kawi last month.

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Purebrad--

Where'd you buy the bike? Even in my short time with a v-rod, I've found a sharp difference in knowledge of and interest in the bike at various dealers. Liberty in Rahway is pretty confused about it ("you want to download what?"). Essex in Bloomfield is more likely to know what a v-rod owner is talking about. Haven't tried Edison yet. Course, I was asking about downloads, not mechanicals, so you might experience something different.

The item falling off is a bit unusual. Sounds like they did a crappy job on the setup/checkout, and the implication by the tech that "this bike clunks", as if that's normal, further indicates the lack of knowledge. My '02 doesn't. Most don't, and those few that do have been fixed as described above.

One thing you'll find is that the bike is a lot better than many of the dealers. Except for major problems, you'll get far better advice on this board than from some of the techs. Worth getting a couple of service manuals and thinking an issue through before you rely on the dealer to tell you what's going on. Spend a few hours here and you'll come up to speed pretty quickly on the real issues. Max runs a great board -- smart folks and no flames or trolls.

That said, not much goes wrong on this bike. It isn't a Honda, but you shouldn't expect more than a couple of teething issues in your first year. Sorry the first one was embarrassing. It is kind of ironic that it was the HD tag that fell off, though :)

And when break-in is over and you crank it from 80 or so to 115, you'll be impressed....

Cheers--

:vrodforu:

·
Banned
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought it at Liberty. I'm really hoping this problem get taken care of. I'll let ya know how it works out.

·
Oh,and...world peace
304 Posts
Got an '04 A. I thought it was clunky at first and posted some questions on the topic. One of the best tips I have learned from this forum is to change gears at a much higher rev than some are inclined to. Like 6,000-7,000 rpm+. I enjoy this bike so much more because of this change in riding style. Less shifting, more responsive, and no more clunking. Not sure if this will help, but it did for me. Remember that break-in states not to go over a specified rpm(topic of debate here too!!)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts