Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2012 night rod... I order a Vance and Hines 2into1 competition exhaust. My Harley dealer told me that there was no need to install fuel management system. Said if I only installed the exhaust and no hi flow filter, I'd be ok.... So what is the overal opinion on this? Am I ok with no fuel management system. Can they tune stock ecu? Any power gain wo Fuel management system? Recommend me a good cost effective fuel management system that I will not need to replace if I add major upgrades later

·
liquid smooth
320 Posts
It would be best to have a tuner with that exhaust because it flows so much differently than the stock exhaust. All they can do with you stock ecu is reflash it. If you are gonna do more mods down the road then you should buy a sepst or pcv.
Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought a new 2012 night rod... I order a Vance and Hines 2into1 competition exhaust. My Harley dealer told me that there was no need to install fuel management system. Said if I only installed the exhaust and no hi flow filter, I'd be ok.... So what is the overal opinion on this? Am I ok with no fuel management system. Can they tune stock ecu? Any power gain wo Fuel management system? Recommend me a good cost effective fuel management system that I will not need to replace if I add major upgrades later
My dealer told me the same thing. When they installed the pipe and the k&N air filter, they said it did not need a tuner. I am not familiar with the type of computer system this bike has, but I am assuming it must have feedback from the O2 sensors that keep it at the same air/fuel ratio as stock after the pipe is put on. Stock settings are probably not optimized for power, so there might be room for improvement with a tuner and someone who knows how to use it. If the O2 sensors do not provide feedback to control the A/F ratio, I would be concerned about the bike leaning out.
EDIT:
I just read the sticky on how Harley EFI works. The O2's are only narrow band and only provide feedback in closed loop operation, so I am puzzled as to why my dealer would say that a tuner is not necessary. I will be looking for a tuner myself.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My dealer told me the same thing,I just ordered Tab slip ons and wasn't planning on a tuner till next year! Ask a hundred guys and get a hundred different answers ! what did you end up doing ?

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
Because dealers don't know crap about Vrods. When your pipe is delivered, there's probably going to be a sticker from V&H stating you're going to need their tuner. I bought a set of Power Duals for my bagger, and the sticker was on the box.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the v&h on my bike as well, put it on an rode for a week waiting on tuner to come in (PCV). Bike ran decent and had minimal popping on decel. Once I put the tuner on and had it dyno'd it was night and day how it ran. So much smoother, I wouldnt get too carried away without a tuner. Bikes are tuned lean from factory so adding pipes and filters leans it out even more!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
wasn't going to go topless or hi flow filter till i figured this out, is a stage one down load an option ? Im kind of leaning towards the Tab auto tuner but Im new to the whole EFI thing so Im just reading as much as possible .

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
There is no generic stage 1 download, unless something has changed that I'm unaware of (which probably is true). When I got my Vrod, the downloads were specific to which SE pipe you bought.

Has that changed?

Think tuner... Powercommander, Vision, SEPST, Mastertune, V&H Fuelpak, something.
Don't ask "which is best?" There is no answer to that question. You'll have 500 opinions.

Decide who is going to tune the bike, and buy whatever they are most familiar with.

·
2012 NRS Vivid Black
663 Posts
Harley-Davidson SE Pro Super Tuner 32109-08B

TUNER W/CABLES & CD'S

Fits:
01-2012 V-RODS

$475 shipped in Conus (lower 48) PM if in other areas.

PAYPAL only.......

All new in box and never used. No need for pics as we know what this is......... Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ended up buying a k&n hiflow airfilter and vance and Hines fuelpak. Super easy install. Bike runs much better now(had some very noticeable throttle lag and bike seemed to run a little lean before install). Bike runs better than factory and no more lag. Small noticiable difference in power increase. Very happy with miniminal impact to my pockets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts